Author Topic: Any new AV scanner suggestions?  (Read 4235 times)

sirMAXX

Any new AV scanner suggestions?
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:57:56 AM »
Hi guys! Been a while. *hugs* Hope everyone's holidays is going well.
So, I've had avast for at least two years now and still very happy with it - with COMODO as my firewall and mostly trouble free from what I remember. I just use SAS and MalwareBytes as my scanners.
I got rid of Hitman Pro a while ago cause of the potential deleting a rootkit that could render your OS useless problem.
So is there any other scanners that someone might recommend or is what I have good?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Any new AV scanner suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
Be happy with avast! and the other two guys (SAS and MBAM).
If you want to be paranoid, test the online scanners :)
The best things in life are free.

sirMAXX

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:06:39 AM »
*nods* Kay, thanks Tech! I should be okay. Just thinking if any new contenders came on the scene that might be better choices.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:54:06 AM »
With that protection you will be good to go. Assume you have the various avast shields up and running because they give a great deal of added protection.
If you have a question on some questionable URL, post it with a broken link, like with hxtp or wXw. We will have a look in the virus and worms section scanning through a whole plethora of online scanners and analyzing tools to see if there are any security issues with the site or what is on it.
DavidR, Pondus, Asyn, !Donovan as well as little old me have built up quite some expertise in this field. We are able to establish the status of that URL as either suspicious, malcious or clean from malware, adware etc.. Also we can establish if the website may have issues that make it vulnerable to specific threats,  attacks or re-infection. If ever questioning something, you know where to find us - virus and worms,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:05:59 AM »
MCShield Removable USB protector.  ;)

http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:16:41 AM »
Bitdefender 60 seconds virus scanner (can be used alongside your avast resident av solution)
Free for download: http://download.bitdefender.com/npd/60Second/60Second.exe
Proactive and cloud-based,

polonus

sirMAXX

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 02:37:24 AM »
Cool, thanks Pondus. :) I should Avast with it's settings out of the box. Plus a few exceptions to allow COMODO to run. I have addons for my browser that wont allow me to load any sites that might be a threat. I tried :) I block scripts too, just the useless ones.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
lots of info about the program here

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=104046.0

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 05:40:57 AM »
If you want to be paranoid, test the online scanners :)

I hate online scanners they can be a real pain in the bare rear :o

You can try Comodo Cleaning Essentials (CCE) http://www.comodo.com/business-security/network-protection/cleaning_essentials.php

I have Avast along with MBAM, Hitman Pro, CCE, and Emsisoft Emergency Kit that all I need to save my bare rear ;D

I got rid of Hitman Pro a while ago cause of the potential deleting a rootkit that could render your OS useless problem.

I never had any problems from Hitman Pro that cause of the potential deleting a rootkit that could render my OS, when using Hitman Pro as a free version not a full version, Hitman Pro (free) can given you a manual option of your choice to delete and not to delete anything that cannot be a rootkit and it won't damage you're OS. However you still need to investigate if this is a virus or false positive as polonus said they can help you to investigate, in the virus and worms section before deleting anything that you're not 100% sure if it contain as a virus and worms.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:12:09 AM by SpeedyPC »
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
Hi SpeedyPC,

I can imagine that users that haven't got a lot of experience will hesitate scanners like the Hitman Pro bundled one. For them it is better that if they have to cleanse something from their computers to do it here under guidance of a qualified malware remover, like the ones we have here: essexboy, oldman, jeffce and others. Same as with operating commands via the command prompt or doing things to the registry. For those who do not have the experience and expertise it is better to ask for guidance here. Not everybody for instance can read Freefixer logs for instance and then knows what to keep and what to get rid of: http://www.freefixer.com/
(Freefixer is a freeware removal tool that came as an alternative/successor to HJT) see: https://www.virustotal.com/file/cd6ac10647ef5396d9b485b597620bfd85cee1b8bedc3d7f103c9bf6e973985c/analysis/1355318699/  (so you can allow the avast PUP scan to continue)

pol

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 01:55:41 AM »
If I may, Spyware Blaster is a good addition. Spyware Blaster is not a scanner but it "does" stop spyware from getting to your HDD. Sadly Chrome is not supported. http://filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.