Author Topic: Avast! Internet Security does not protect from Ransomware?  (Read 3845 times)

RolandG

Avast! Internet Security does not protect from Ransomware?
« on: December 17, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »
I have had Avast! Pro for 3 years and on 12/11/2012 I upgraded to Avast! Internet Security (I was due to renew anyway).  Today, 12/16/2012, I had the FBI Moneypak virus completely take over my computer.   I had to get on another computer to figure out how to remove it.  I started my computer in "Safe Mode Networking" and was able to run Avast scan in an attempt to find the virus but Avast! did not find it.  I had to download "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" to find it and remove it.     To tell you the truth I'm quite shocked Avast! first allowed it to come onto my computer at all and also that Avast! could not find it once it was there.     

Is Avast! working on this?

Gary C

Re: Avast! Internet Security does not protect from Ransomware?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »
Similiar issue for me. Was hit by PCeU Ransomware today, which was undetected by Avast and locked up my PC trying to force me to pay 100 GBP to unlock.

Fortunately I was able to remove it by booting up in safe mode and manually removing the malware trojan following instructions gained from the internet which I accessed via another PC.

Extremely dissappointed Avast failed to pick up on this, particularly since research has found this malicious application has been around since February 2012, a good 10 months.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast! Internet Security does not protect from Ransomware?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:55 PM »
Is Avast! working on this?
everyday......And new Ransom malware is released everyday, so if you can give the samples to avast lab, that would help   ;)
some seems to think that if you have antivirus you are 100% safe...but no security have 100% detection, and never will.

virus update history  http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history
28.12.2012 - 121228-0
BV:Bicololo-CD [Trj], BV:Bicololo-CE [Trj], BV:QHost-HP [Trj], BV:QHost-HQ [Trj], BV:QHost-HR [Trj], BV:QHost-HS [Trj], MSIL:Injector-BN [Trj], VBS:Bicololo-AU [Trj], VBS:Bicololo-AV [Trj], Win32:Agent-AQRJ [Trj], Win32:Agent-AQRK [Trj], Win32:Agent-AQRM [Trj], Win32:Banker-KBI [Trj], Win32:Bicololo-FT [Trj], Win32:Bicololo-FU [Trj], Win32:Crypt-ORJ [Trj], Win32:Crypt-ORK [Trj], Win32:Downloader-RYB [Trj], Win32:Downloader-RYC [PUP], Win32:Downloader-RYD [PUP], Win32:Downloader-RYE [PUP], Win32:Downloader-RYF [PUP], Win32:Downloader-RYG [Trj], Win32:FakeAV-EGR [Trj], Win32:FakeAV-EGS [Trj], Win32:Injector-AYH [Trj], Win32:Injector-AYI [Trj], Win32:Injector-AYJ [Trj], Win32:Kolab-ABU [Trj], Win32:QHost-CFR [Trj], Win32:Ramnit-BH [Trj], Win32:Ransom-ADD [Trj], Win32:Ransom-ADE [Trj], Win32:Ruskill-GW [Trj], Win32:SMSSend-ATS [Trj], Win32:Sality-NCI, Win32:Sality-NCJ, Win32:Sality-NCK, Win32:Sality-NCL, Win32:Sality-NCM, Win32:Sality-NCN, Win32:Sality-NCO, Win32:Sality-NCP, Win32:Sality-NCQ, Win32:Shiz-AAT [Trj], Win32:Shiz-AAU [Trj], Win32:Sirefef-ATD [Trj], Win32:Sirefef-ATE [Trj], Win32:Zbot-QGL [Trj]

Extremely dissappointed Avast failed to pick up on this, particularly since research has found this malicious application has been around since February 2012, a good 10 months.
well...it is not the same one....
Mercedes has been around since 1885.....but it is not the same car still running in the streets   ::)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:16:39 AM by Pondus »