Author Topic: Stuck at Please wait...  (Read 49561 times)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Stuck at Please wait...
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
Ive posted before on this, and it continues to be an issue for Win 7 Clients. As mentioned before folder redirection does seem to have some share in this as clients without the redirection never give this issue. Avast, we urgently need a fix for this!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

wpn

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
Im running a Win2k8 R2 domain (2k8 functional level) with folder redirection. Im running the latest client and have yet so far not encountered this problem.

(to make it easier)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
Im running a Win2k8 R2 domain (2k8 functional level) with folder redirection. Im running the latest client and have yet so far not encountered this problem.

(to make it easier)

Most customers I see this are running Avast in a Small Business Server Environment, but not necessarily with SOA. Once Customer has a SBS and a HyperV VM Server with the AEA Console on one of the VMs serving about 70 clients across 2 subnets. It only seems to affect the Windows 7 Clients, Ive never seen it happen on XP.  But its not consistent, some customers with very large Avast Deployments never see this issue.

What is true everywhere it happens is:
The client is using folder redirection and the Client upgraded from Avast BP v6
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

drace1111

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »

(to make it easier)

What is true everywhere it happens is:
The client is using folder redirection and the Client upgraded from Avast BP v6

We are using folder redirection, but we didn't upgrade from any previous version of Avast.  We're testing on machines that are brand new with no prior AV installed at all, so there are no traces of any other AV software to mess things up.

I've only installed and tested on two Windows 7 computers so far, and I've already seen the issue occur on both.  Our environment is about 50 servers and 2000 Win 7 clients, so there's no way I'm rolling this out now.  We had hoped that Avast would be a good alternative to our current AV solution, but if this doesn't get resolved soon, we're going to scrap the whole thing.  Very frustrating.

nannunannu

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2013, 03:30:42 PM »
It only seems to affect the Windows 7 Clients, Ive never seen it happen on XP.

Here we use folder redirection for "My Documents" and "AppData" - We have seen the issue on XP (32bit), Vista (32bit) and Windows 7 (64bit)...  We have a handful of Windows 7 32bit laptops, I can't recall if I've seen the issue on them.  SOA console is on a 2008 R2 VM, if we are gathering data.

Michael Due

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
BUMP... for solution...

Having had this problem for almost a year now is no where near satisfying...

I really really really love avast for home usage and I've never been a big fan of symantec or any other anti-virus other than Avast - but I must say this: Never before have i been this close to not renewing my 130 licenses and bying a symantec product instead... 1 year of having to fix computers rebooting into safe mode, uninstalling avast, ms updates and whatnot is getting to annoying now. Im close to being done with this product for business use.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:57:42 AM by Michael Due »

Michael Due

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
Installing Bitdefender...

studio_two

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
It only seems to affect the Windows 7 Clients, Ive never seen it happen on XP.

It also happens on Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2.

Offline 1tb

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 05:43:22 AM »
Yeah happened to us again on another SBS 2011 server in VM after windows updates. After 1 hour stuck at configuring updates, we reset VM and boot into Safe mode to uninstall avast, updates rolled back on reboot, reapply updates. Middle of the night after several hard resets/reboots and waiting around, so now the server appears alive and now too tired/scared to resinstall avast client since we still have more windows updates to apply.

Next day site complained that no mail is received. On investigation we find that the "avast antispam for exchange" agent is still left behind after an uninstall in safe mode. Attempts to remove this component failed, so we tried deploying avast client from the console which resulted in a forced reboot in the middle of the day and very unhappy customer who was without server/phones/shares/email for 15 mins while the server rebooted! 

Things to note: some of the windows updates were exchange related (antispam update + rollups)

What a great corporate antivirus solution! You have to uninstall avast client leaving your server unprotected every time you want to apply window updates!! This is a joke.
We also sick of these issues with workstations as well. There have been no updates to Endpoint engine for far too long.  Also where is Server 2012 protection coming?  - where is Avast 8 for Corporate servers?  We need official support now for these new platforms. - WHEN IS IT COMING AVAST TEAM!!

I also have to agree with other posts about when is avast team going to take the corporate solution seriously by providing proper testing/support?

I'm sick of it.. and our customers are sick of paying us to fix things avast breaks... we need to find a new antivirus solution NOW!!  >:(

Dewg

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 08:58:56 PM »
We just lost a computer to this!

Stuck at "Please Wait" while Windows is configuring updates... stuck there for 30 mins.  We power off and go into Safe Mode.  It loads up and rolls back the updates - then restarts.  The user wasn't quick enough to catch the restart and it loaded back up in normal mode.  Tried to reapply the updates - but stuck again.  We powered off and back into Safe Mode.  Now it won't even go into Safe Mode - just stuck at "Please Wait" even in Safe Mode.

I'm going to have to rebuild the computer - which means the user is losing a day of work.

drace1111

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 02:37:20 PM »
*bump*

Has anyone gotten any kind of response from Avast about this problem?  The lack of input on their part is very discouraging.

nannunannu

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
*bump*

Has anyone gotten any kind of response from Avast about this problem?  The lack of input on their part is very discouraging.

Nope.  I purchased through a local reseller, so I'd have a lifeline for these issues...  Or so I thought.  Unfortunately he's only been able to tell me more of the same:

I’m aware of the “please wait” issue and agree it needs to be resolved. I’m in the same boat as everyone else there in that I have to wait for avast to fix the issue.

4 months later, still nothing.   :(

Michael Due

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
BUMP

paradox183

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »
This has happened to me 20-30 times since we upgraded in January.  For the record, I can list some things that this problem is NOT related to:

- Folder redirection (we don't use it)
- Small Business Server (Windows 2008 R2 domain)
- Vista (we only have Win7)
- Upgrade from another antivirus product (this problem has manifested itself on clean Win7 installs and brand new PCs with no preinstalled AV)

My fix has been to boot to safe mode, uninstall Avast, reboot, and reinstall Avast.  I had to do a repair install of Win7 once but never a full reinstall.  I'll try setting the services to Delayed Start.

Avast 4.8 (what we upgraded from) was effortless.  Sucks that this is happening and still hasn't been fixed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:23:21 AM by paradox183 »

nannunannu

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »
For the record, I can list some things that this problem is NOT related to:

- Folder redirection (we don't use it)

What about roaming profiles?