Author Topic: fl32.exe? Avast want me to download flash player again?  (Read 10190 times)

AzureKite

fl32.exe? Avast want me to download flash player again?
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:19:22 AM »
hello, been using avast free for a year now and this is the first time I've had a real issue. When i look under statistics, avast gives me a message saying I need to download adobe flash player to view charting. This seems strange to me, since I've had both avast and flash player set up on my computer for a long time. When i click on the link to flash player in the message, it has me download "fl32.exe", but I recently(within the same week) updated flash player direct from adobe and the file they had me download was "install_flash_player.exe". When I googled the fl32 file, i came across people calling it a virus. Is my copy of avast infected or something?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: fl32.exe? Avast want me to download flash player again?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:28:45 AM »
Are you sure this is an avast message as it isn't one that I'm familiar with (a screenshot might help) ?

It looks like a spoof/fake notice given the file name isn't a proper flash update file name and why you are finding malware references in your searches.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AzureKite

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »
Sorry, I've never had to make a screen cap on a windows 7 operating system before. if you post the steps I'd be more than happy to. when i typed the file name into google, i saw people calling it a virus. But maybe they weren't reputable sources. Also, i'm sure it's an avast message since it appeared within the ui.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:13 AM »
Generally I never use the default screen capture as you also need an image editor, see below.

####
- When you click the Reply button, there is an Attachments and other options link, this expands the options to attach a file, that can be an image file or a text file (.log or .txt), see image below (click to expand).

- When you click the Reply button, there is an Additional Options link, this expands the options to attach a file, that can be an image file or a text file (.log or .txt).

- How to create the screen capture to attach, when the window that you want to capture is the active one, press the Alt key plus the Prt Scr (print screen) key together. That captures the active window (not the whole screen) and copies it into the clipboard.

- If you have an image editing application you can use that to save the clipboard copy to an image (.gif, .jpg or .png image format). If you don't have an image editing application you can use windows paint it is basic but should serve the purpose.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AzureKite

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:30 AM »
sorry. tried using your method but no luck. here's a picture of my avast screen. also, my flash version is 11.5.502.135

ps how do i log out? i've been logged on since i registered a couple hours ago even though i only put in 15 minutes

AzureKite

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
well at least i found how to log out. that's one problem solved

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
Is it the IE version of flash player you have installed ? as that is the version avast requires.

You can try downloading fresh from filehippo
http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/tech/13895/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 01:52:12 PM »
sorry. tried using your method but no luck. here's a picture of my avast screen. also, my flash version is 11.5.502.135

ps how do i log out? i've been logged on since i registered a couple hours ago even though i only put in 15 minutes

OK, that is legit, I thought you were talking about a separate pop-up window saying you needed to download flash player. Avast uses flash (the IE activeX version as craigb said) to display the statistics view.

You don't have to log out if you don't want, but activity is monitored so even if logged on but not active the time doesn't get logged only times when you are active (in increments of 15 minutes I believe).

There are plenty of free screen capture applications that make this task much easier, try a google search. I use a paid option SnagIt very flexible, but I use screenshots a lot so for me the cost is justified.

Here are some options from a good download site - http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=screenshot Greenshot is quite small. Any that are Open source or freeware are free the others are either trial and then pay (shareware or commercial). Though there are others.

Anarion

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
I'd try removing flash and avast completely and then reinstall. Also in future for grabbing screenshots: just press Print Screen button between Insert and Pause/Break and just copy & paste the image in image editor of your choice (even paint will do). In Windows 8 you can take screenshots with Win+print screen combo and it saves the screenshot in My Pictures\Screenshots. Alternatively you can use the built in snipping tool in Windows. No need for third party software for screen snapping at all, I'd advice against those actually. Save to png when you save window snips (lossless and really efficient with this kind of images, i.e. solid colours and not much detail).

Flash uninstallation tips:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Uninstaller tool:
http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 02:24:04 PM by Anarion »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
I'd try removing flash and avast completely and then reinstall.
Why  ??? the OP might not have the IE version of flash and has also not mentioned any other problems with avast itself so if find your suggestion to remove an re-install avast and flash quite excessive.

Montmorency

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:54 PM »
Hi.

I have only Firefox's Flash plugin installed and I understand that I need IE's in order to view Avast's statistics.
What I don't understand is why Avast sends me to its own site for a fl32.exe download.
A Google search tells me this .exe is Adobe related but it doesn't look like the latest Flash version.

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
I think the reason it is giving its own link is that it would be the IE version of flash which is required to view the stats.

That way the user doesn't have to actually find the flash version, if it had a flash site link, that over time could change.

There is nothing to stop you downloading it the adobe site https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html and download the one for Windows, Internet Explorer version which would be http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x.exe, save that and install off line with internet explorer closed and install this.

Montmorency

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:34:18 PM »
I tried the installer through Sandboxie and it produced a not so old version.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »
The key question now is can you view the avast statistics ?

Or is it displaying the need flash message again ?

In all honesty I wouldn't have installed this via sandboxie, I don't like to install something via a virtualisation application when it impacts on programs that aren't virtualised (like avast).