Author Topic: Is System (PID 4) in Widows XP using CPU the sign of a virus?  (Read 6433 times)

Offline EmoHobo

Is System (PID 4) in Widows XP using CPU the sign of a virus?
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
I don't remember if this is normal but I notice sometimes System (PID 4), just regular system, no extensions and no System Idle Process, when opening programs or watching youtube, I notice it will sometimes use from 3%-16% of my CPU, I don't remember it always doing this, trying to do research online lead to lots of people talking about Vundoo or failing hardware but they said it was using 100% when that happened.

I couldn't find anything with an up to date Avast and Malwarebytes, so I figured I'd come and ask on here.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Is System (PID 4) in Widows XP using CPU the sign of a virus?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34:51 AM »
hey and welcome to the forum.

if you need to check for infections follow this guide.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 then attach your logs.

a amlware expert will guide you from there.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »
hey and welcome to the forum.

if you need to check for infections follow this guide.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 then attach your logs.

a amlware expert will guide you from there.
I have done system scans and I can't find any infections, Did a full scan with both Malwarebytes and Avast.  I'm not observing any obtrusive behavior and it's not dialing out or anything strange.  Checking with friends they said they observed the same thing on their XP systems, so I'm thinking it was just me being over reactive, is there anyway I can get this topic locked or deleted?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
It isn't necessarily an indication of malware, what were you doing when this high CPU activity was noticed ?

Not sure what you mean by no System Idle Process, no entry or no free CPU (which is what the System Idle Process shows) ?

I rarely if ever get any CPU spikes on the System process, mainly as first you have to have a condition (system is at a crawl or very slow) to go looking at the task manager. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it unless it is a very regular occurrence.

Topics remain open, but after a short period of inactivity drop (off the radar) way down the chronological topic list.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
Oh, with no System Idle Process, I was just letting you know I was wasn't confusing the two, system idle process remains full, I just occasionally see System use a bit of CPU at times and it turns out that's normal.  I was just being overly paranoid.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »
Yes there are times when it would use some CPU, but I wouldn't expect it to be using a lot and not for long periods. I would have a hard time finding it using any CPU % unless I sit with the Task Manager open (which I don't).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 08:55:04 AM »
Yes there are times when it would use some CPU, but I wouldn't expect it to be using a lot and not for long periods. I would have a hard time finding it using any CPU % unless I sit with the Task Manager open (which I don't).
It's never more then 3% unless I'm watching Youtube then it kind of varies and it never lasts for long, just enough for me to notice if I watch Task Manager as I always have it out of habit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »
Break the habit, don't go looking for trouble unless you experience problems.

I keep my nose out of the avast logs, windows event viewer, task manager, etc. unless I have a specific repetitive problem (not one off) that results in either errors displayed to the screen or things slow down for no apparent reason. Then and only then it is worth bothering or you spend more time monitoring than you do using and it doesn't contribute to worry.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 01:20:13 PM »
Break the habit, don't go looking for trouble unless you experience problems.

I keep my nose out of the avast logs, windows event viewer, task manager, etc. unless I have a specific repetitive problem (not one off) that results in either errors displayed to the screen or things slow down for no apparent reason. Then and only then it is worth bothering or you spend more time monitoring than you do using and it doesn't contribute to worry.
That's very good advice and I should really take it, all I do is worry myself.