Author Topic: IE7 Early Release Announcement  (Read 13190 times)

Sojourner

IE7 Early Release Announcement
« on: February 16, 2005, 02:14:28 AM »
Security concerns prompt early release of IE7
By John Leyden
Published Tuesday 15th February 2005 19:17 GMT
RSA Information security concerns have prompted Microsoft to release a new version of Internet Explorer before its next version of Windows ships. Contrary to previous plans, Microsoft will release IE7 as a beta from "early summer" 2005. Longhorn, the next iteration of Windows, is due late next year.

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates today said IE7 will offer Windows XP SP2 advances in defending against phishing and malware but failed to go into any details. IE7 will also be included in Longhorn but its availability on other platforms remains unclear.

In a keynote address at the RSA Conference in San Francisco, Gates singled out spyware and social engineering such as phishing and spyware attacks as the "fastest growing challenge".

"There's no exploit involved," he said. "Social engineering attacks take the privilege of a user and fool them into running code they don't want to run."

Microsoft has decided to make its Windows Anti-Spyware, released as a beta earlier this year and downloaded by 5m users, available at no extra charge to licensed Windows users, Gates announced. Microsoft also intends to introduce a consumer-focused anti-virus product by the end of the year.

From
The Register

neal62

Re: IE7 Early Release Announcement
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 02:22:48 AM »
Sojourner, Thanks for this information. Very interesting whether to some it's old news or for others it's new information. I appreciate you posting it, thanks again.  :)

Sojourner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 04:18:25 AM »
In announcing the plan, Gates acknowledged something that many outside the company had been arguing for some time--that the browser itself has become a security risk.
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5577263.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

The Maxx

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 01:23:21 AM »
I've been wanting them to get the next IE in beta for sometime, glad they will be doing that soon enough.  Hopefully this IE will be a lot more stable and safer.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 05:24:34 PM »
I've got one main concern about IE7:  considering the way MS has been thinking, what's the odds that it'll include deliberately-engineered incompatibility with (or even disabling of) popular 3rd-party anti-malware goodies like avast and others?

We saw a lot of that with SP2, especially in its early beta days.  But most of that was sloppiness on MS's part, rather than deliberate, and at least some of it has since been corrected by them, under pressure from the 3rd party developers and from users.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Sojourner

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:35:10 PM »
Mike BCda,
Let's think positively; I am one happy camper with all the Microsoft things I use; no problems ever with SP 2. Unless it is necessary, however, I will not upgrade to IE 7; I am happy with IE 6 and I am not looking for trouble. (How's that for positive thinking, Mike?)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 09:51:19 PM »
Before making a decision about IE7, regardless if your happy with IE6, you should find out what security/functional enhancements it will contain.

However, it is not due in beta form until the summer and I too have no desire to become an MS beta tester.

I would have been far happier if this beta release was a planned roadmap release (originally it wasn't due until Longhorn was released), rather than being rushed out the door.

Regardless of what MS is stating, that this has nothing to do with the march of firefox (25 million downloads in 99 days after firefox 1.0 released), or the slating IE is getting in the IT/security media.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sojourner

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 10:03:15 PM »
Regardless of what MS is stating, that this has nothing to do with the march of firefox (25 million downloads in 99 days after firefox 1.0 released), or the slating IE is getting in the IT/security media.

Hmmm, not clear, David; could you elaborate a bit?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 11:10:06 PM »
All the security warnings, etc being reported giving the overall impression that IE is not secure. So early release to beta to perhaps counter the reports/comments 'we are doing something about it.' Not to mention try to stem the flow to firefox and other browsers.

There is a big PR push to promote the beta of IE7 by MS right now and there is still 5 months or so (summer is really undefined) until it is released to beta.

I though it was clear.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sojourner

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 11:20:58 PM »
Well, you are saying they are fluffing the facts, afraid they are losing to firefox and trying to save their necks?

Some of us are not as Up on the computer news as others, making it difficult to discuss things intelligently --- sorry.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 11:44:47 PM »
Well, you are saying they are fluffing the facts
No, facts are facts, they are losing market share in the browser arena, about 5% in the recent months and they have had a bit of a rough ride with various security bulletins, etc.

MS aren't going to say we have brought forward the IE7 beta release, because IE6 is getting canned in the media, or that they are losing market share; they say they are listening to their users. The fact remains if you release something 4-6 months early how are you able to do that without cutting corners or devoting more staff to a project that isn't going to produce any revenue. They are also dropping functions from Longhorn (the next windows OS release) in order to keep to the roadmap dates.

Even US Dept. of Homeland Security (or some such Gov body) are recommending a switch from IE.

No need to be sorry, you are only seeking information.

Sojourner

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
Thank you, David. That is VERY clear!

Have you tried the Slim Browser? (This may have been discussed on another thread; I'm always afraid I'm arriving on the scene after the party is over --- usually the case!)

emma

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 01:46:59 AM »
I will come to your party, Sojourner.  I usually am picking up the crumbs after everyone has feasted.  ;D

Thanks for asking the questions and thanks to David for his  explanations.

neal62

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2005, 01:51:52 AM »
Well, if MS is worried who's fault is that?  :) I personally don't use I.E. for reasons of my own but certaintly don't have any sympathy for MS whatever their excuses may be.

Hopismum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2005, 01:58:07 AM »
Since IE 7 will not be standalone, and will be an update for those using XP SP2  (if ive read things correctly)..   I will not be using it myself.  I only use IE these days for using Microsoft Update..   Firefox does all I need for it to do.    Im using Win98SE still..   have had no real reason to upgrade to XP other then being forced eventually to do so because of lack of support    :P and a broken 98SE CD  lol    I also just cannot see spending the amount of money it costs to upgrade to XP on 2 machines in our home when its just not something either of us "need".       98 serves us just fine,  and Ill live without IE 7  :0