Author Topic: IE7 Early Release Announcement  (Read 13191 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IE7 Early Release Announcement
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2005, 01:15:51 PM »
Since IE 7 will not be standalone, and will be an update for those using XP SP2  (if ive read things correctly)..   I will not be using it myself.  I only use IE these days for using Microsoft Update..   Firefox does all I need for it to do.    Im using Win98SE still..   have had no real reason to upgrade to XP other then being forced eventually to do so because of lack of support    :P and a broken 98SE CD  lol    I also just cannot see spending the amount of money it costs to upgrade to XP on 2 machines in our home when its just not something either of us "need".       98 serves us just fine,  and Ill live without IE 7  :0

That is one of the problems with IE in general, its integration into the windows OS, so whatever gets a toe hold into IE also has a toe hold into your OS and those running XP and are running with admin privileges, it can reap havoc. That is why it is so difficult to remove some of the malware out there.

So those using XP have to keep IE up to date regardless to ensure that any security issues are updated and closed. You will also be presented with updates for IE every time you visit windows update if they are available. I don't use IE even for windows update I use Avant browser.

It is also possible, regardless of what browser you use for someone to make a call to use the IE browser, rather than the default browser (even one of avast's links pops-up IE, as has been mentioned in these forums), we simply can't ignore IE 7 when it is released (after beta testing).

Connie, I'm a great believer of if it ain't broke don't fix it, but as you are finding it becomes more difficult without support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't use IE even for windows update I use Avant browser.

David, if you wanted you could use Firefox with the automatic windows update, although i have not set this up myself (I'm happy enough using IE for windows update), i believe it works fine.

Edited

--lee
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 02:37:26 PM by lee16 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »
Not sure how much confidence or trust in a site that have a section on Virus code.

Short extract from the Virus Code page.
We have only included source code for a small fraction of the viruses out in the wild to show you how easy it is to write one. Making public the source for viruses, will not make any impact to the huge number of viruses out there - virus writers are aware of the loop-holes and procedures used by these viruses anyway.

Responsible, I think not. So would I let them tweak firefox, to somehow allow it to run active X, - because that is the major requirement of windows update - No way.

Perhaps you should edit out the web link in your post, we don't want to make it any easier for the script kiddies, to get some code to tweak.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 02:02:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lee16

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2005, 02:38:04 PM »
Well as far as i know that website is fine to use, but i haved edited out the link anyway just to be save  ;)

--lee

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 02:40:51 PM »
Yeah, better safe than sorry.

Negeltu

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 02:48:23 PM »
This is some info on the avant browser:

"Full IE Compatibility: Avant Browser comes with all Internet Explorer functions, including Cookies, ActiveX Controls, Java Script, Real player and Macromedia Flash. IE bookmarks are automatically imported into Avant Browser.

Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser IS AS secure as Internet Explorer. "

This is directly from the Avant web site.  It would obviously be susceptible to quite a few of the same exploits as IE.  I especially hope you've disabled activex :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 03:00:45 PM »
Avant simply makes it easier to disable/enable active X (two mouse clicks) rather than having IE security settings at High with active X disabled.

There are many settings that make it much more flexible in changing your security settings than IE (for this reason alone, many people leave IE security settings at default levels), This makes it much easier to use, there is also a front end that differs from the IE core, this makes it IMHO more secure, even with it using the IE core.

Negeltu

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 03:18:46 PM »
I agree that the interface for changing IE security settings isn't the most user friendly and most people use default settings.  I can see your point.

Starfighter

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 05:37:22 AM »
I use Win98se, and just like Connie, I've no real need to "upgrade" to XP.   With all the patches, 98 works good enough for me.   I can only imagine how bloated IE7 will be esp. considering it won't be a standalone.    Firefox suits me just fine.  It has so many neat extensions/plugins.  The Firefox developers certainly have some creative talents   8)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 06:48:35 PM »
I'm also still using Win 98 SE, and are quite happy to do so on My computer. The " families" comp. runs XP , (which I often wonder stands for " e-XP-erimental ) . Going from one to the other is a little disorientating, but Windows is Windows. The major issue is the Updates. W 98 SE is obviously out of date, but I'm still getting IE 6 security  updates and not too many problems as Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Spybot & Ad-Aware do a good job for me With Win 98 SE.
 The Idea of a Beta version ; IE 7 , is a worry, as we are the guinea pigs doing the testing for Microsoft. Like with MS Beta Anti-Spyware ; which I've tested on XP, and went back to Ad-Aware Spybot, & Spyware Guard. Oh, obviously I've omitted Avast! , as that's taken for granted as an essential part of both our Home computer's. ;D
 I do see a keen interest by many users towards Firefox ,and alternate browsers, and think that as stated earlier this is prompting the quick release of IE 7. Maybe I'll be one of them when IE 6 is gone and forgotten.  ::)