Author Topic: Glad to have Avast again  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Jimmy9190

Glad to have Avast again
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:22:21 PM »
I had Norton Internet Security 2012 on my computer for almost a year, it was OK I guess but I recently had problems with it when it updated to their 2013 version. I did not want to buy another boated paid AV program, and had used Avast a few years ago on an old XP computer, I liked Avast then however I had absolutely no idea how good the free version of Avast 7 is now until I started reading online reviews. I removed Norton and am now running Avast Free and could not be happier with it. I like everything about it and I especially like how simple it is to use the interface and set everything the way I want.

My security programs include:

Malwarebytes, I bought a lifetime subscription to the Pro version, it works great in combination with Avast
I use Web of Trust and the Avast Web Rep apps together, they do not have any conflicts that I have encountered.
I run Firefox 17.0.1 with Ad Block Plus, Do Not Track Me and a few other convenience add-ons.
One Firefox add-on I really like is Flagfox. It displays the flag for the country of origin for any website in my browser. That could possibly help me avoid malware because a lot of Malware is from Russia and Eastern Europe.
I use Secunia to be sure all of my programs are updated.

I believe I have good adequate protection on my computer now, combined with using good common sense online. Thanks very much Avast for providing such a great program for free. It is good to be back here again.

Jimmy

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Glad to have Avast again
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »
:)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 06:56:02 PM »
recomende to run Norton removal tool so all conflicting files are gone    ;)

you find it here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:00:40 PM »
Many of us feel that avast is well up to the task and holds it own against the other paid AVs

I changed to avast over eight and a half years ago and haven't looked back.

Welcome back to avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Jimmy9190

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I did use the Norton uninstaller tool to remove NIS 2013. I just now ran it again to be sure all Norton files are gone. I also installed Free Avast on my mother-in-law's laptop, it is doing much better now as well. She had been running Microsoft Security Essentials as her only anti-virus. She is not a heavy internet user by any means but Avast is working great on her laptop. Next I am going to remove Norton from my wife's laptop and install Avast and the same security programs I have here on my desktop. I recommend Avast to anyone who needs a good antivirus program. It works very well and I could not be more pleased with it.

Jimmy

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
Might be worth checking out this topic as your recommendations could get you a free copy of avast Internet Security, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=110643.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
You can double check for leftovers by running a search for Norton and Symantec.

Welcome back to avast Jimmy :)