Author Topic: Reminders are getting in the way. Will be removing avast  (Read 8333 times)

Katsai

Reminders are getting in the way. Will be removing avast
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:18:36 AM »
I am totally irate and will vote with my feet and my cash

The persistant reminders to renew my purchase have angered me so much that by the end of today all my machines will be protected by someone else.

The have already got in the way and embarrassed me during a presentation. So you have lost a customer. I wish you well but the biblical quotation applies;-
"Go forth and multiply"

nweissma

Re: Reminders are getting in the way. Will be removing avast
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
good luck with your issue

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:47:42 AM »
Good choice because a computer program should not make you irate.
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
I am totally irate and will vote with my feet and my cash

The persistant reminders to renew my purchase have angered me so much that by the end of today all my machines will be protected by someone else.

The have already got in the way and embarrassed me during a presentation. So you have lost a customer. I wish you well but the biblical quotation applies;-
"Go forth and multiply"

It's your choice, though I'm puzzled by both the reference to the Bible and that you chose to post about it here. Why didn't you just not renew your subscription?

Speaking as a Customer Service manager (NB. I don't work for avast!) there's a "catch 22" when it comes to renewal notification. It would be nice if everyone remembered to renew on the last day of their subscription period but because they generally don't, persistent renewal notices are deployed by just about every vendor, because most customers prefer that to an "auto-renewal" charge to their credit card.

Re: interruptions to your presentation.
In order to limit the scope for embarrassment, standard setup procedure for me is
1/. never present primary screen, and
2/. all system sounds disabled.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:15:34 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

iAMPO

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
No need to be condescending fanbois.

Guess who else is PO'd about the incessant nag screen? +2

Hi Katsai. Let me say you can add +2 to your protest list who are 'irate to the point of uninstallation resentment because of a that incessant unnecessary nag screen. Avast get out of my life! I've used Avast PAID sub for several years and recommended and installed it for those who asked for my assistance. No longer.

Two years ago I installed Avast Security Suite for my elderly neighbour and she purchased it. Now she's nagging me.  Similarly for another PC n00b friend last year. I also have a x3 licence for myself. ...or did. I have removed her copy at her request and mine too will be gone in a few days.

Smart move AVAST ...NOT! You really need to give the clueless tool who thought that stunt up a permanent vacation.

First and last post. Bye.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:26:17 AM by iAMPO »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
Am I missing something? Could one of you please post an image of this reminder. I don't have a customer complaint to investigate (but I do monitor their subscriptions via 'avast! account'). I remember getting a box in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen but that was a while ago.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

jhereg

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:49:58 PM »
I'm about to that point.  I'm running the free version on my netbook.  It's registered w an expiration in 01/2014.   It's fully updated. I get reminders on top of what I'm doing that I need to upgrade it.  If it goes on much longer I'm going to uninstall it, and recommend all the people I support uninstall it.  Nagware that knocks me out of what I'm doing is not acceptable.

jhereg

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
Am I missing something? Could one of you please post an image of this reminder. I don't have a customer complaint to investigate (but I do monitor their subscriptions via 'avast! account'). I remember getting a box in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen but that was a while ago.

Here's the nagware screen that pops on top and covers about 75 percent of my netbook screen.  As mentioned Alt F4 won't close it, and you can't click on anything else to move it to the background.  It shows up at irregular times, not just at boot.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Are you still using avast! 4.8 or maybe 5.0 ? Those versions are heavily outdated now so these nags are perfectly reasonable.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

nweissma

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 10:54:06 PM »
firstly, jhereg does seem to have majorly missed the point: the avast secreen that he posted does not say to buy the paid version -- on the contrary, it is in the vein of a helpful public service message: it states that your current $free version is obsolete, and that you are being advised to update to the latest $free version. what more do you want, jhereg -- do you want avast to pay you? jhereg is effectively spitting in avast's face. yes, jhereg -- and those of a sympathetic calling -- do take your kiddie business elsewhere!

secondly, if this minor, negligible snag in your presentation embarrassed you then your employment status must be damn weak -- again, maybe you should go somehere else.

thirdly, let me suggest far greater ills that can befall you -- homelessness, physical and emotional child "abuse," devastating illness,  ... why don't you take your meritless issue and get lost?!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »
as stated above..... this is the important part

click for big pic

Anarion

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
OP should actually read the pop ups. When security suite starts to constantly nag about something, there's usually a pretty good reason...

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »
I have never seen that "nag screen" on the Vista machine which is running the free version.

nweissma

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
i don't recall, in six years of using avast, having ever seen this "nag screen." is this a photoshop creation? these kiddies may just be scratching their need to complain.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:42:24 AM by nweissma »

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 12:11:03 AM »
I think it's legitimate but also think it's rather obvious that the OP is not using the latest version of the product and that's why he is getting it.