Author Topic: Computer not working  (Read 3470 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Computer not working
« on: December 25, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi!

I need some non-Avast related help again (except for that on all our machines we use Avast AV).

My borther's PC isn't working anymore. He has Windows XP, when he boots it up it comes to this screen:

Then a black screen with the mouse pointer appears and we are able to move the mouse, so it goes as far as loading up the mouse driver and then the PC reboots itself.

I tried the Windows XP installation repair via the Windows XP CD but the problem persists.

Any idea what could it be and what should we try from there on?

Thank you!
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: Computer not working
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »
Now I tried running it in safe mode and when it should open in the safe mode I got a window with this warning:

"Windows XP Setup can not run under Safe Mode. Setup will restart now. <OK>"

I clicked OK and the reboot loop started again...

Seems like it wants to finish the repair thing I started but can not. Is there a way to stop the rapair and just boot up the Safe Mode so I can rescue my files  before formatting?
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

timcan

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
hi, you should be able to retrieve files with a bart pe or a win pe cd. If you don't have these ,a small linux distro burned to cd may help.
Another one just came to mind, I believe it's called ultimate boot cd for windows (?)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Hi could you create this disc on a separate computer and use it to boot the sick one

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn  to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads  :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the flash drive with FRST on it
  • Locate the flash drive and run FSRT
  • The tool will start to run.

• When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
Thank you both, I will try something when I'll have some time and report back. :)