Author Topic: P2P Problem?  (Read 16112 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:P2P Problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2003, 03:33:38 PM »
Wait a moment.

1. What OS are you using?
2. Is is really FULL SCREEN? :o What screen resolution do you have?
3. Doesn't it show up only if you finish download of some file?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

possum9999

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »
1. Windows 98

2.  Absolutely FULL SCREEN.  800 x 600

3.  And no, I just put kazaa on then to have a look what was happening - two files were downloading, neither anywhere near being finished, nothing recently finished, and I had this damn screen flash up four or five times.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2003, 03:50:55 PM »
1. Check out Kazaa settiings - is ashQuick.exe installed as a virus scanner?
2. in the Windows Explorer, try scanning a folder by right-clicking it and selecting Scan. Does the same window as is concerning you pop up? Is it full screen as well?

Vlk

possum9999

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2003, 04:07:17 PM »
Bear with me Vlk, I'm technically challenged

1.  I had a look in kazaa, there is an option that says "disable scanning of shared files for viruses" and this is ticked.  Should it be?

2.  The same window does pop up, but it's not the same size, it doesn't even take up 1/4 of the screen

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2003, 04:31:27 PM »
Can you search the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys in your registry for the string

ashQuick

?

possum9999

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2003, 05:01:18 PM »
Not really.  Like I said, I'm technically challenged!  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2003, 05:51:23 PM »
OK possum9999 I've talked to the developer responsible for this and it seems to be our faults, really. Sorry for this. Anyway, it would be helpful if you could tell us which file it keeps scanning all the time?

It must be a file located in
C:\ProgramFiles\KaZaA Lite\MySharedFolder\download
that has the most recent time/date stamp. Which one is it? Does the time/date stamp keep increasing (every time the popup appers)?

Thanks
Vlk

possum9999

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2003, 06:50:29 PM »
It seems to be the same one each time

C:\ProgramFiles\KaZaALite\MySharedFolder\download10619410103672744.dat

sedina

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2003, 07:46:09 PM »
Hi all,

I will summary key aspects of P2P && IM providers. For NT-base OS
the virus scanning is done similarly as resident shiled works (it means
that it scans all files the process works with). On 9x OS it works quite
different. There is a filesystem change notification method. It means that
the given directory (directory where IM && P2P programs save download
files) is guarded for any change. And when this change occurs (i.e. file created,
file is changed) ashQuick is executed on this file. So, when Kazaa create some file
in download directory, ashQuick is executed. There is a bug with launching maximized ashQuick - we are sorry for this; fix will be in the next program update
(ashQuick will be launched normally). The last note will be about log file AvCommEx.txt: This file is created only on Win 9x, so on NT-base (NT/2000/XP/2003) file will not exist.

pavels

possum9999

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2003, 08:13:31 PM »
Thanks for that, can you tell me when the next update will be?

Dave50

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2003, 10:00:24 PM »
pavels -- if I'm reading you correctly, does this mean that what I reported at the start of this thread isn't really a problem and that on a Windows XP machine, the P2P protection is working...

Dave50

BanziBaby

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2003, 11:29:59 PM »
I too have the same problem, when downloadin files from kazaalite (2.42)
Avast quick scanner window opens, scans the file, then dislpays a little dialog box with the details of the scan, but it does this all the time as the file is downloadin, same thing every few seconds, quick scan window open, then dialog box over & over, i have only so far tried it with exe files as on kazaa most of them are viruses :(, so 2 recap the windows open all the time as the file is downloadin

I also have another slight niggle, on the resident protection where it list what settings are being used, it lists all IM prog that it supports apart from AIM, i have this & MSN, MSN is listed as being protected, but AIM is not despite being checked in the customise protection page :(

Other than that the Avast team has yet again proved how 2 make a damn fine AV prog puttin the big boys to shame,

Well Done :)

BaNzI :o

possum9999

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2003, 09:13:33 AM »
And here's what happened when kazaa was left open to download a file (i'd been closing it because you couldn't do anything else on the computer while it was running because of the quick scanner thingie flashing up all the time)

I went away and came back a short time later and there were 21 quick scanner windows open, all saying "initializing engine please wait" and about four saying there was an error, monitor didn't start and to report it.

So here I am reporting it  ::)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 09:17:07 AM by possum9999 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2003, 12:23:27 PM »
pavels: Sounds like kazaa closes and reopens the downloaded file many times - each time another small part is downloaded  ???

BanziBaby

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2003, 01:33:46 PM »
Yep, it's always the .dat file that gets scanned, but as igor says it gets scanned constantly even if kazaalite doesnt stop & start downloadin it

I actually thought that the new module was that a new modlue, & not just the quick scanner being used for somethin else

I too suffer the same problem, U leave the download to complete, but all that happens is that the screen gets filled with quick scanner windows & the results dialog which actually makes the download real slow or it fails

BaNzI :o