Author Topic: Browser Protection (sandboxed  (Read 3873 times)

Walt baby luv

Browser Protection (sandboxed
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
Just a quick question, Is it ok to leave my browser sandboxed 24/7? In the additional protection/browser protection/ sandboxed mode. Or just when going to dangerous sites?

Thanks for anyone's patience.

timcan

Re: Browser Protection (sandboxed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:01:56 AM »
Is it ok to leave my browser sandboxed 24/7? In the additional protection/browser protection/ sandboxed mode.

Thanks for anyone's patience.

That's what I do with rare exceptions.  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:40 AM »
You can run browser inside sandbox all the time. You'll just need to run it outside the sandbox when updating. And even that isn't strictly needed if you use only avast! all the time.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Montmorency

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:33 AM »
And even that isn't strictly needed if you use only avast! all the time.
What do you mean?

Walt baby luv

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:07:12 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help. I love the fact I can come here and get help from good people.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:19:23 PM »
And even that isn't strictly needed if you use only avast! all the time.
What do you mean?

If you switch between AV's often, you'll lose certain stuff from browser that remains inside sandbox. But avast! already excludes most of the important stuff.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »
You can run browser inside sandbox all the time. You'll just need to run it outside the sandbox when updating. And even that isn't strictly needed if you use only avast! all the time.
An example of needing to update when surfing is there is a need to bookmark or add favorites when not in sandbox mode.  If this is updated when in sandbox, then the new url will be lost when the browser is closed OR a new version of Chrome or Firefox is available and then running the update for that while sandboxed would result in the same outcome.

TBH, the only time I ever run a sandboxed browser unsandboxed is only for the two instances above. 

I can, and have, run into a situation where a well-known and reputable site is reported to be infected by Avast!, and since I never know when that might happen, I always run the browser sandboxed.  Sandboxing also prevents unwanted changes to the browser, one such as having a possibly unwanted browser search engine installed via a drive-by infection or worse.

Smart thinking says to prevent issues where one can, and sandboxing is one of the ways to do so.  Active prevention is key.  That way one does not have to deal with any malicious issues should any pop up when sandboxed.  All that is required is to delete all data left in the sandbox after the browser instance is closed and the browser should then show that it is unaffected when run again.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 12:55:42 AM »
If you use Firefox Sync or any other syncing in other browsers, most of the stuff is shared between the host and sandbox through online storage (cloud). Also, avast! sandbox automatically excludes certain locations so a lot of stuff doesn't even get affected (bookmarks, addons etc)...