Author Topic: solved:I would like to have a malware expert to check and see if I have a virus  (Read 4076 times)

Diddy

HI  my desktop computer has been acting silly these days.  A while back when I quite a boot time scan I found out that when I booted back to the desktop security center alerted me that I should check my security so I did and I found out my firewall had been turned off by itsself so I turned windows firewall back on.  It has only done this once so far.   a few times when I click on some folders an error message would come up saying that a file cannot be found.  Sometimes my computer is really slow and sometimes my browser will not respond or my computer will freeze for no reason.  So that is why I would like to have a malware expert check the following logs for a virus.  I have done repeated scans with avast free 7 lasted version and it has found nothing so far.

Thanks

here is some info that might help:
Windows Vista
avast free 7 7.0.1474

ps Sorry for the mistake I posted in the wrong section.

I would also like to mention that I am only an intermediate computer user I have no advanced computer knowledge of any kind.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:06:44 AM by Diddy »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: I would like to have a malware expert to check and see if I have a virus
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 09:22:08 AM »
Can you also run Comodo Killswitch and set it to only show Unknown/Suspicious processes? Maybe that will point out something useful if anything...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Diddy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
hI I installed kill switch application but I do not now how to run it can someone tell me how to use kill switch please.  I did not find out any on how to select look for unknown things I need help I have never run kill switch before I also selected run kill switch as administer.

Thanks.
Ps: have never run or used Comodo killswitch before.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 10:57:16 AM »
Just run Killswitch.exe and once opened, go to View menu in the toolbar and select "Hide safe processes". You can then post a screenshot here if there will be any entries still displayed in this app.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Diddy

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
HI I reopened killswitch and I went to the view menu and looked under view menu and I could not select hide safe processes because it was gray.   So what do I do now.  Please explain.

Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:18:37 AM »
On completion of this can you let me know what problems you are having

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code: [Select]
:OTL
O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {7792546F-70AE-4ABC-B2B6-BE68E9410002} - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {CF745ACA-6FA6-45ED-AB49-E10A0D1870C5} - No CLSID value found.
O3 - HKCU\..\Toolbar\WebBrowser: (no name) - {EE2AC4E5-B0B0-4EC6-88A9-BCA1A32AB107} - No CLSID value found.
O4 - HKCU..\Run: [Wisdom-soft ScreenHunter 5.1 Free] 0 File not found
O4 - HKCU..\Run: [Wisdom-soft ScreenHunter 6.0 Free] 0 File not found
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Installer] "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\Install\Launcher.exe" "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\Install\Install.exe" /r /c "C:\Program Files\CheckPoint\Install\Install.xml" File not found
O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O7 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
[2012/12/20 02:04:42 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Users\Clint\AppData\Local\Avg2013
[2012/12/19 01:58:47 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Users\Clint\AppData\Local\TechSmith
[2012/12/18 14:39:20 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Windows\System32\ÿþC
[2012/12/18 01:52:59 | 000,001,092 | ---- | M] () -- C:\Users\Clint\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\CNET TechTracker.lnk

:Commands
[resethosts]
[emptytemp]
[CREATERESTOREPOINT]
[Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Diddy

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 05:16:21 AM »
HI when I click on a folder and it goes into what is in the folder or I click on a video to watch a box comes up saying Error xvidcore.dll not found.  What I would like to now is their any way that I can fix this so this box does not come up any more.  Thanks. 
here is the finished scan results for you to look at.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:39:25 AM »
You will need some codecs..  Download this package and install http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5326.html

Diddy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 07:41:28 AM »
HI Essexboy what package am I to download and what codecs are you talking about what is the software that I am to download Essexboy please explain.

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
Vista Codec Package 6.4.4 is the codec package and this will install the dll that you are missing thereby stopping the errors

Diddy

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:05:31 AM »
HI Essexboy

I just wanted to say thanks for suggesting the fix to get rid of the toolbars off of my computer.  I would also like to thank you for suggesting the avast codec pack for Vista.  It installed fine and the error message is gone from my computer.

Thanks again Essexboy

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
To remove the tools run OTL and press the cleanup button  ;D