Author Topic: Browser Protection  (Read 10716 times)

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
Browser Protection
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:27 PM »
I have AIS but cannot get browser protection to work.  The problem is that it blocks the connection and even though I am connected to the net my browser isn't.  I get the message "Problem loading page".  Any suggestions as to how I can get this option to work?

Cheers,
Janice
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:34:05 AM by nanajana »
I love this forum, with all its extremely knowledgeable personnel!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Browser Protection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »
Assuming everything else works try Control Panel>uninstall>double click avast>scroll down to and click repair>reboot  :)

I get the message "Problem loading page". 
Is this message an "avast" message/pop-up or a "browser" message?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:21:54 AM »
Is this message an "avast" message/pop-up or a "browser" message?

It is a browser message.  It starts out working fine then after a bit I get the "problem loading page" message and I have to uninstall the plugin on all browsers, Firefox, IE, and Chrome and reboot the computer to be able to connect again.  This is on my new laptop.  On my PC it did the same started working okay but then I had to uninstall AIS and reinstall it before I could connect the browser.  Also I couldn't get the firewall to work on my PC & had to do a custom install and leave out the firewall but it works fine on my laptop, go figure!  Although in retrospect I probably had to uninstall and reinstall AIS due to the firewall.  I'm running free Avast on my PC (since AIS never worked properly) and AIS on my laptop.

I still want the browser to work as it is supposed to!

Cheers,
Janice
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:37:58 AM by nanajana »

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:40 AM »
Holy smokes reading in this forum, I see there are a few of us with this problem!!  I'm hoping this issue can be resolved :)

Cheers,
Janice

Offline digmor crusher

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:51:47 AM »
Browser protection has never worked for me correctly. Sometimes it works most times it doesn't. I've tried repair, no go. Usually when I sandbox a browser, either IE or Chrome it just won't open. I've given up on it ever working correctly.

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:57:15 AM »
I hear you but I don't want to give up on it!  I really hope someone can help with this & get it working.

Cheers,
Janice

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
What is your OS? What other security software do you have now or "ever" had?
If uninstalled, how was it uninstalled?  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »
Hi Janice, I have never used web protection as webrep is not yet up to my liking as it is very heavily user driven

So although it is installed I do not use it

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
Hey essexboy nice to hear from you and Happy New Year to you and yours!

On the plus side, as you have probably already seen,  I have the firewall up and running & could actually run it both on the home & work zones, no problem but have it set on the home zone, yay!

I use webrep with wot & site advisor but do you mean that webrep decides what is safe if my browser is sandboxed?  If that is the case then this becomes a non-issue as I will just rely on wot with the help of site advisor & webrep to do what I expected sandboxing my browsers would do.

Cheers,
Janice

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:17:10 PM »
Wot is similar to webrep, but not yet mature enough for me and I do have this thing about toolbars (so site advisor, wot and webrep are duplications)   ;D  Once webrep gets linked to the virus database of malicious URLs then mayhap I will use it

May you have a happy and prosperous new year  ;D

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
What is your OS? What other security software do you have now or "ever" had?
If uninstalled, how was it uninstalled?

I first installed AIS on Vista but now have Windows 8, same story for both.  I have had various security software over time & for the times I uninstalled Avast but uninstalled all with Singular labs uninstallers or through control panel but for Avast I used aswclear in safe mode.  I do have Malwarebytes & MCShield & have had Avast for quite a few years.

Cheers,
Janice
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:56:39 PM by nanajana »

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
In my opinion you don't need the browser protection plugins at all since all the major browsers have the protections (except for webrep) built in making the plugins redundant. I don't use them and I also never sandbox my browsers. WebRep , in my opinion, is totally useless.

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »
Okay so I guess I'll follow your's & essexboy's advice and forget all about this! 

Thanks guys for all your help on this topic!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Cheers,
Janice

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 01:41:47 AM »
I'll just add that even though I don't use the plugins or the browser sandboxing, I have tried them and did not experience the problem you posted about.( I'm using Win7 though) There was a problem at first with downloads from a sandboxed Internet Explorer 9 only showing as a phantom icon with no file actually existing on the system. They fixed that however.

You might ask why I purchased AIS if I wasn't going to use some of the features and there are 2 reasons. The Firewall (which I believe should be set on Ask and be in the Work zone), and the Safe Zone which I use for shopping and banking. I like the Avast Firewall better than any others I have tried and I hope it doesn't change too much in the upcoming version 8 edition of AIS. All I want a firewall to do is to alert to connection attempts going both ways and allow me to decide what to let through. Anything else, like HIPS, I do not want.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:49:58 AM by Dch48 »

Offline nanajana

• Health is Wealth
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 06:46:11 AM »
You might ask why I purchased AIS if I wasn't going to use some of the features and there are 2 reasons. The Firewall (which I believe should be set on Ask and be in the Work zone), and the Safe Zone which I use for shopping and banking.

Okay I'll go with that.  I like the two features you mention above so I'm happy :) that they work and I'll forget about browser protection.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Janice