Author Topic: Avast 8. No thank you!  (Read 6472 times)

noneed

Avast 8. No thank you!
« on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:34 PM »
Well I've just gone back to Avast 7 after trialling 8 for the last couple of weeks. My computer slowed down considerably with 8 installed. Was not impressed. Avast always had the edge for me because it was generally less obtrusive, lighter and faster than the competition, but it seems the latest version has now gone full retard and has become just another piece of bloatware. And what is with that GUI, yuk! The majority consensus seems to be that Windows 8 has a terrible GUI, why imitate it? It is only going to go the same way as Vista.

I'll be sticking with 7 for the foreseeable future thanks.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Re: Avast 8. No thank you!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:56:31 PM »
Mostly unobtrusive on my XP box, although I did a custom install and included only
the shields none of the extra stuff.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
Pretty light on my XP system also.

Considering there is only the Home page that has the dreaded win8 Metro tiles (and believe me I don't like the win8 metro interface), all the rest aren't a bit win8 tiled style. I don't see it as a major issue as once opened the I set the UI to the Security summary page, which gives ready access to most information.

Unfortunately your generalisations doesn't give anyone anything to work with to help you, but I guess that isn't why you came here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »
Well I've just gone back to Avast 7 after trialling 8 for the last couple of weeks. My computer slowed down considerably with 8 installed. Was not impressed. Avast always had the edge for me because it was generally less obtrusive, lighter and faster than the competition, but it seems the latest version has now gone full retard and has become just another piece of bloatware. And what is with that GUI, yuk! The majority consensus seems to be that Windows 8 has a terrible GUI, why imitate it? It is only going to go the same way as Vista.

also remember to make full scan after installing new version, to generate the database to speedup scans
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Lyon :))

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »

You are surely a troll.  ;D

I installed avast 8 on 5 machines and they are running like there's no antivirus on them . This latest version is very very light at least for me. ;)

I think most of people here (with 1 or 5 posts) create account just to troll avast forums so the other people can see that avast is crap but it's not .

I had ZERO problems with avast that most of the "trolls" are having.

.........  ::)

Dixiegirl

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:16:09 AM »
I ran Avast 7 on 4 computers. The recent update crashed my laptop the three times when I tried to install it. This was on a system that had just been restored and the previous version had worked just fine. I've stopped trying to install version 8. All other systems seem to be fine with version 8.

I've used Avast software for over 6 years and this is the first update to do this. I set my computer back to a system restore point. I tried using instructions here and it will not install. There are numerous post all over the forum about these problems. So contrary to what the uninformed think, there is a problem with the software somewhere. And to say that our problem doesn't matter means you lose users.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »
It is only going to go the same way as Vista.
What is this supposed to mean? I use Vista and don't see a problem with its looks. Better than XP imo.

Off-topic, but your title "No Thank You" is also a song (http://vimeo.com/23751139). Was wondering if anyone's heard of it before.

~!Donovan
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

iroc9555

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:15 AM »
Off-topic, but your title "No Thank You" is also a song (http://vimeo.com/23751139). Was wondering if anyone's heard of it before.

Only in Nihon. Only in Nihon and my niece's laptop ;) Who loves anime.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 12:55:48 AM »

Only in Nihon. Only in Nihon and my niece's laptop ;) Who loves anime.

I see! Well, K-ON! was popular back in 2011, so maybe she has heard of it before. ;D

Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

true indian

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 05:53:28 AM »
Dixiegirl,if you have problems please create your own topic..

Lyon ;)),,without being 100% sure that they are lieing you cant call them trolls.  :o  ;)

noneed

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »
Donovan, Vista was a flop. Even Microsoft knows that.

My machines definitely ran slower with Avast 8 and start up took longer. No doubt about it. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else.

And what is with all the hand holding crap like software updater? It's unnecessary bloat. One of the things that I always liked about Avast was that it was not bloated like so much of the competition. This always made it a clear winner for me. The new version just has too many superfluous gimmicks.

And I think I can nicely sum up the new look with two words. Fisher-Price.

All just my opinion of course.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:46:48 PM by noneed »

herbcanter

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »

You are surely a troll.  ;D

I installed avast 8 on 5 machines and they are running like there's no antivirus on them . This latest version is very very light at least for me. ;)

I think most of people here (with 1 or 5 posts) create account just to troll avast forums so the other people can see that avast is crap but it's not .

I had ZERO problems with avast that most of the "trolls" are having.

.........  ::)

Calling the guy a troll because he has a different opinion and experience than you ? Pretty ballsy ,  i am having issues with the new Avast as well but i'm classier than to call someone a troll because they disagree. Grow up man.

DBone

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
Nothing screams fanboys more than calling a new poster a troll, just because he/she has a complaint with avast.