Author Topic: Browsers are unable to connect to internet  (Read 3210 times)

BossTycoOon

Browsers are unable to connect to internet
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:45 AM »
Hi, I just reinstalled Avast a few hours after I uninstalled an older glitched version of it and just after I installed it ALL browsers(Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE) cannot connect to the internet. I AM connected to the internet with other programs like skype and steam.  I uninstalled Avast again and It would work. I even installed Trend Micro Titanium after but I had the same problem there.  I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with proxy settings but im not sure what to set them to... Thanks in advance ^^

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Browsers are unable to connect to internet
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:13:03 AM »
hi BossTycoOon,

Version of Avast?  Free, Pro, AIS?

Used this site to remove all old left-over remnants of a/v programs originally uninstalled via Add/Remove or Programs and Features?  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Advice given in next reply will depend to some extent on what you say in your next reply.

You are not now running two active resident antivirus programs at the moment?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

BossTycoOon

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
Free Version, I have no other AV programs installed.  At the time I'm not using any AV programs, I'm using NoScript temporarily so that i can use browsers more safely in the meantime.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:42 PM »
What is your operating system and firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Not advisable to disable avast completely, if the above doesn't resolve it then disable the Web Shield and not the complete avast protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BossTycoOon

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
I reinstalled Avast and disabled the web shield.

Windows 7 64 bit, Windows Firewall.
Yes, I put Avastsvc on the allow list but it still doesnt work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
The windows firewall doesn't have the outbound protection enabled by default, so unless you enabled it then it shouldn't be getting in the way.

If you haven't done so already check out the link given by 'mchain' and ensure any remnants of your Trend Micro Titanium are gone. It is somewhat strange that this problem was also present with that installed.

You also said you have a previous 'glitched' version of avast installed, what was that version avast 5, 6 or 7 ?
Did this previous installed avast version allow internet browsing ?

It may be that this could be an issue and a complete clean reinstall should be done, see #### below.

####
- Download the latest version of avast, 7.0.1474 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for 5.x, 6.0.x and 7.0.x).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 6.x if previously installed and then for 7.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BossTycoOon

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
Trend Micro Titanium is gone without a doubt, The problem started with my reinstallation of avast.

The screwed up version was a version of Avast 7.  I needed to run ComboFix but when i turned off "Enable avast! self-defense module" to turn off Avast so it wouldnt interfere with the scan, it would instantly turn back on after i would click "ok". Yes, it allowed internet browsing.

Its odd because I actually did all of those steps after the problem persisted lol I used that same uninstaller and reinstalled the newest version.  I do believe it is a problem with proxy settings between the AV and my computer though..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
Do you normally use a proxy to connect to the internet (other than the avast localhost proxy) ?

Why did you need to run Combofix as this is a pretty powerful tool ?
You shouldn't have had to turn off the self-defence module and then avast to run combofix, just used the avast tray icon to disable avast. That you should be able to proceed with the combofix scan.