Author Topic: Beta  (Read 83565 times)

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Beta
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
Broken WebRep plugins are a known issue, it will be fixed in the final release.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
Another problem, this time with signing into a live.com account (hotmail, messenger...) in Firefox, the avast! tusted CA cert is installed in Firefox, and works with other secure connections, but for some reason doesn't work in live.com, the window just stays blank while waiting for something.
In Safari it works fine. The only way to have this working in Firefox was by adding login.live.com to the exclusion list.

BTW, can't we use wildcards like *.live.com in exclusions? It would be so much simpler.

As for the self-certificate problem I'm not sure you considered it a bug or not?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:04:08 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »
Using build 37988 (what is the changelog of this build?)

I decided to turn off SSL scanning for http connections, the behaviour is just too erratic, specially under firefox, with live.com and facebook.com (some images not appearing).

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

The shield/SSL scan configuration logic in the avast! preferences (Preference Pane) is fixed in build 37988.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »

I decided to turn off SSL scanning for http connections, the behaviour is just too erratic, specially under firefox, with live.com and facebook.com (some images not appearing).

The problems with live.com are caused by their broken server not capable to work with openssl > 1.0.1 that has support for TLS v1.1 and v1.2. (avast uses the latest openssl library - 1.0.1c). We will either search for a workaround for this like disabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2 or simply add the known broken servers (another one is webmail.centrum.cz - the same MSN technology) to the exclusion list.

I can however not see any problems with facebook. Can you provide more info on the issues with facebook?

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:31:23 PM »
I can however not see any problems with facebook. Can you provide more info on the issues with facebook?

The issue I had with facebook.com was with images while using Firefox, some images (in news feed) were not appearing (just their placeholder), the images, AFAIK, are hosted on the akamai network in: fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net, using https also.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:11:08 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
There is an updated version (38024) available that fixes the issues with broken HTTPS servers (live.com).

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:01 PM »
There is an updated version (38024) available that fixes the issues with broken HTTPS servers (live.com).

Using Firefox, works better, I can now open mail.live.com. Unfortunately, Messenger, via web on the live.com page, doesn't work, it just sits there waiting for sign in. Turning off secure connection scanning and it works.

Fenikkusu

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:09 AM »
Version Info
Beta 38024,

GMail Settings:
Server imap.googlemail.com:993,SSL/TSL

Whenever my gmail account attempts to connect to the server, it ends up timing out. Occasionally it will succeed fine, but for the most part it will not connect. Disabling the Mail shield will allow it to work fine, so it's not the connection. I've disabled the compression setting and it still is doing it. My other account works fine.

(Had to use beta due to 'Unable to verify email server' error)

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 03:06:46 AM »
Version Info
Beta 38024,

GMail Settings:

Whenever my gmail account attempts to connect to the server, it ends up timing out. Occasionally it will succeed fine, but for the most part it will not connect. Disabling the Mail shield will allow it to work fine, so it's not the connection. I've disabled the compression setting and it still is doing it. My other account works fine.

Does that also occur if you use imap.gmail.com as the server address (it's the one referenced in google support docs and the one I use, it works fine for me with the beta and before the beta).

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 10:19:04 AM »
GMail Settings:

Are there any interresting messages in the system log file (/var/log/system.log)?

Fenikkusu

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
Version Info
Beta 38024,

GMail Settings:

Does that also occur if you use imap.gmail.com as the server address (it's the one referenced in google support docs and the one I use, it works fine for me with the beta and before the beta).

I tried this and everything started working fine. Thank you.

GMail Settings:

Are there any interresting messages in the system log file (/var/log/system.log)?

I took a look at the logs and found this:

Jan 28 09:22:11 mac com.avast.proxy[1540]: Error reading receive buffer: read(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 28 09:22:50 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jan 28 09:22:50 mac com.avast.proxy[1540]: Error reading receive buffer: read(): Connection reset by peer
Jan 28 09:23:15 mac com.avast.proxy[1540]: Defective IMAP request!

I don't really understand it myself. Thunderbird auto-used the googlemail.com domain, and this worked correctly when the mail shield is down. Using the gmail.com instead seems to work properly, so I don't really know what is going on.

Edit
======
On a side note, I'm noticing that my college email account doesn't appear to be going through avast at all. I'm not seeing any bars coming in on avast. Is there any way to review this? Other than the server domain and what not, the settings are the same.

Edit 2
======
Sent myself a test email and checked and it is scanning. Apparently it knew it had already scanned the previous emails...Though I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing because in theory it might be possible to spoof avast into thinking the email is valid when it really isn't...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:55:59 PM by Fenikkusu »

Fenikkusu

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 07:25:37 AM »
After a trial run I've found that the imap.gmail.com setting returns the same senario of timing out. The errors in the log are still the same.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:31 PM »
Installed the Beta today, no more pop=ups with SSL message, but I can't connect to IMAP server any ideas?  When Mail protection is on Thunderbird connection to IMAP times out or just doesn't connect. If I turn protection off mail on Thunderbird works again.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:13:01 AM by joelw135 »

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
Installed the Beta today, no more pop=ups with SSL message, but I can't connect to IMAP server any ideas?  When Mail protection is on Thunderbird connection to IMAP times out or just doesn't connect. If I turn protection off mail on Thunderbird works again.

See the techinfo for explanation. However in the final release the required certificate will be added automatically to Thunderbird (as well as Firefox).