Author Topic: Beta  (Read 83574 times)

Offline joelw135

Re: Beta
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
I just tried installing on my MacBook Pro with same results, no email with Thunderbird.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
I just tried installing on my MacBook Pro with same results, no email with Thunderbird.

I see you have a personalized domain in Gmail.
If you turn off the Mail Shield in Avast it works?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:27:52 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline joelw135

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 04:32:31 PM »

When I turn off Mail Shield Thunderbird becomes unstable. If I type the beach-ball appears and the type does not show on the screen for at least ten seconds. So an email can take an hour to type.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »

When I turn off Mail Shield Thunderbird becomes unstable. If I type the beach-ball appears and the type does not show on the screen for at least ten seconds. So an email can take an hour to type.

Seems like a problem with Thunderbird? Avast doesn't mess with the app itself, it just acts a proxy between the app at the web, if you turn off mail shield then avast doesn't intervene with thunderbird in anyway except for the file shield scanning on-access files.

I presume that if you remove avast! reboot, try Thunderbird the problem doesn't disappear?

Offline joelw135

« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »

Seems like a problem with Thunderbird? Avast doesn't mess with the app itself, it just acts a proxy between the app at the web, if you turn off mail shield then avast doesn't intervene with thunderbird in anyway except for the file shield scanning on-access files.

I presume that if you remove avast! reboot, try Thunderbird the problem doesn't disappear?

If Avast is removed Thunderbird works just fine. I am on a Beta Thunderbird 19 so my next thing to do is remove thunderbird and install normal Thunderbird.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »

If Avast is removed Thunderbird works just fine. I am on a Beta Thunderbird 19 so my next thing to do is remove thunderbird and install normal Thunderbird.

BTW, I checked your MX records (if they are pointing correctly to gmail), and they seem fine (I saw your domain before you blacked it out), only difference I noted was the 24 hours TTL, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
And as for the beachbaling, most likely what's happening, since you are using IMAP, it's that when you type a new message it communicates with the server and it's trying to store the draft on it, the beachballing occurs because it's timming out and can't store the draft.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2013, 04:50:33 PM »
I removed Avasat and Thunderbird, installed Thunderbird non beta. Reinstalled Avast, same problem.

BTW, I checked your MX records (if they are pointing correctly to gmail), and they seem fine (I saw your domain before you blacked it out), only difference I noted was the 24 hours TTL, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
Actually, no, there's a problem with your MX records.

Check yourself: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=140038

Offline joelw135

« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
Actually, no, there's a problem with your MX records.

Check yourself: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=140038

I can't figure out what the problem is as my settings are as the Google instructions show. The error I get is
Sanity check failed. Domain name does not pass regexp.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:41:29 PM by joelw135 »

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »
From what I read, briefly, it's something to do with the name servers (NS), not something in google settings, but with your registrar/domain host, apparently the NSs aren't giving out the same names, I don't know if this is a red herring or not, but your symptons, beach balling, time outs, are typical of a network related problem, not getting a connection, might be that the domain avast proxy resolves is not the adequate one and thus it's forwarding the connection to the wrong server.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2013, 05:54:26 PM »
From what I read, briefly, it's something to do with the name servers (NS), not something in google settings, but with your registrar/domain host, apparently the NSs aren't giving out the same names, I don't know if this is a red herring or not, but your symptons, beach balling, time outs, are typical of a network related problem, not getting a connection, might be that the domain avast proxy resolves is not the adequate one and thus it's forwarding the connection to the wrong server.
Well I guess using Avast is out. I have no control over the providers settings. I have no problem getting mail without Avast so I guess I am up the creek.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2013, 05:55:52 PM »
You have two NS:

ns1.valinor.net  (108.62.78.90)
ns2.valinor.net  (50.116.18.14)

The second one is replying with no/empty values, or not replying at all.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »
You have two NS:

ns1.valinor.net  (108.62.78.90)
ns2.valinor.net  (50.116.18.14)

The second one is replying with no/empty values, or not replying at all.

I don't know what I can do about that, as I don't have any control over the provider, and I can't even talk to them. According to ADMIN the second ns2 is under service at this time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:10:14 PM by joelw135 »

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
This does shed a new light for some GMail problems other users are having, I hope tumic reads this, maybe these users are using personalized domains in GMail, and have MX issues.