Author Topic: Beta  (Read 83560 times)

Offline specimen9999

Re: Beta
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »
Most likely Avast! asked for the MX records to the NS server that is down, again.

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/check?from=support.google.com&origin=checkmx-widget&domain=waxman.org

Now that I know if I disable and then enable after restart maybe if I force it to ask for my password on restart it will work on its own every time.

No that didn't work, only turning the scan of secure locations off then back on works. I wonder if this will happen after sleep?
I am correct after sleep the same problem, this is going to be a major problem.

Personally I'm now convinced, it is going to be a major problem, always, your problem lies elsewhere, even if you uninstall Avast!, even if you set up your email account in another completely different computer, every time any mail program or anti-virus asks for the server address it has a 50% chance of contacting the name server that gives no response, and when that happens you get no connection, the name server probably stopped working around the time you first installed Avast, so it's likely just coincidental.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2013, 05:31:58 PM »
Most likely Avast! asked for the MX records to the NS server that is down, again.

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/checkmx/check?from=support.google.com&origin=checkmx-widget&domain=waxman.org

Now that I know if I disable and then enable after restart maybe if I force it to ask for my password on restart it will work on its own every time.

No that didn't work, only turning the scan of secure locations off then back on works. I wonder if this will happen after sleep?

Personally I'm now convinced, it is going to be a major problem, always, your problem lies elsewhere, even if you uninstall Avast!, even if you set up your email account in another completely different computer, every time any mail program or anti-virus asks for the server address it has a 50% chance of contacting the NS server that gives no response, and when that happens you get no connection, the name server probably stopped working around the time you first installed Avast, so it's likely just coincidental.

I don't have mail problems with any other virus programs. I have BitDefender and Sophos no problems. I also never not get my email unless Avast is loaded.  I would love to keep Avast, so I have to think of a way to keep Thunderbird from sleeping. I don't want the hard drives not sleeping as that is a strain on the system.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2013, 05:34:31 PM »

Personally I'm now convinced, it is going to be a major problem, always, your problem lies elsewhere, even if you uninstall Avast!, even if you set up your email account in another completely different computer, every time any mail program or anti-virus asks for the server address it has a 50% chance of contacting the NS server that gives no response, and when that happens you get no connection, the name server probably stopped working around the time you first installed Avast, so it's likely just coincidental.

I don't have mail problems with any other virus programs. I have BitDefender and Sophos no problems. I also never not get my email unless Avast is loaded.  I would love to keep Avast, so I have to think of a way to keep Thunderbird from sleeping. I don't want the hard drives not sleeping as that is a strain on the system.

Are you using more than one AV on the same mac!?
AFAIK Sophos for Mac doesn't scan connections, only access to the file system, so it's like running Avast with Mail and Web shield off. As for Bitdefender I have no idea.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
No only tried those two, both removed from the iMac.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2013, 05:39:50 PM »

Like I said, your problem is like tossing a coin, it worked before without problems because the NS2 was up, now it isn't, all I'm saying is warning you that with the name server problem you have, independently from Avast! you have 50% chance of your mail not working at this moment.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

Like I said, your problem is like tossing a coin, it worked before without problems because the NS2 was up, now it isn't, all I'm saying is warning you that with the name server problem you have, independently from Avast! you have 50% chance of your mail not working at this moment.

I understand that, but wonder why it works every time I disable then enable the scan of secure locations, it should be that same 50 50 chance, but it works every time.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »

I understand that, but wonder why it works every time I disable then enable the scan of secure locations, it should be that same 50 50 chance, but it works every time.

Every time you do that you are probably using Thunderbird cached resolution (which is probably the server that is up) instead of Avast cached resolution.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

Every time you do that you are probably using Thunderbird cached resolution (which is probably the server that is up) instead of Avast cached resolution.

I just hope the host gets this fixed, as I found out yesterday it needs a new server. This is going to be a problem as the guy is a private entity and not a company. So cash is the problem.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »

I just hope the host gets this fixed, as I found out yesterday it needs a new server. This is going to be a problem as the guy is a private entity and not a company. So cash is the problem.

Look at the SSL thread below this on the forum, a guy edited his host file to force the resolution of imap.gmail.com to a fixed IP, that might be a solution for you. That way you'll be circumventing resolution issues, and if Google ever changes that IP (unlikely) you'll only have to manually update it.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »

Look at the SSL thread below this on the forum, a guy edited his host file to force the resolution of imap.gmail.com to a fixed IP, that might be a solution for you. That way you'll be circumventing resolution issues, and if Google ever changes that IP (unlikely) you'll only have to manually update it.

Thanks, I will look at that.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »

Thanks, I will look at that.
I looked at that and I am not sure what to do, it is above my ability I think.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
I renamed the Hosts file created a duplicate then added line 173.194.67.109  imap.gmail.com saved, but the problem still is there. I replaced the original hosts file. Unless I was doing something wrong with the IP I added. Or should I have added the IP to my good NS1

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »
I renamed the Hosts file created a duplicate then added line 173.194.67.109  imap.gmail.com saved, but the problem still is there. I replaced the original hosts file. Unless I was doing something wrong with the IP I added. Or should I have added the IP to my good NS1

You probably need flush your resolution cache, you can do this via terminal.app:

Code: [Select]
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
Your hosts file should look something like this now(all the entries related to localhost and broadcasthost should be left as they are originally, the values might me slightly different from yours there):
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1     localhost
xxxx::1%lo0     localhost

173.194.66.109  imap.gmail.com
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:53:56 PM by specimen9999 »

Offline joelw135

« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

You probably need flush your resolution cache, you can do this via terminal.app:

Your hosts file should look something like this now(all the entries related to localhost and broadcasthost should be left as they are originally, the values might me slightly different from yours there):
##
# Host Database
#
##

I will try that.

Offline joelw135

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2013, 07:33:34 PM »

##
# Host Database
#
##

I will try that.

No luck it didn't work after sleep.