Author Topic: Frozen screen after running program and deleting a virus  (Read 3942 times)

frozenscreen

Frozen screen after running program and deleting a virus
« on: September 12, 2003, 03:38:39 AM »
i think i screwed up bad, i did not delete norton, and when running avast i chose the "delete all" option for the win32 virus that was found, and many system restore files that had the virus attached were deleted as a result

now the computer starts and remains frozen with the screen saver showing and nothing else, cursor moves, but nothing else works

any thoughts, suggestions?

ps. the worst part is that i thought i was doing my buddy a favor by cleaning his computer for him;  i wonder if i can at least save his files to another hard drive if he needs to re-format?

i could use some serious advice

thanks to anyone who gives this a second of their time

techie101

Re:Frozen screen after running program and deleting a virus
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 07:16:37 AM »
Um...you made a big bo bo!
Ok..try this.
Start the machine in Safe Mode if you can.
Then see if the files appear in the Recycle Bin.
If not, access Avast Virus Chest and see if they are in there.  If they are, you can restore them and start over.

If you cannot locate the files in the areas above, then you may try to download a file recovery program from wanteddbest.com or webattack.com
These usually can recover "deleted files" on the hard drive (which are never really deleted, just blocked from view and access.....unless they are "shredded" using a file shredder program).

Confusing a bit, but that is all I can suggest at this time.

Good luck ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Frozen screen after running program and deleting a virus
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 09:12:27 AM »
I think uninstalling either avast or Norton from the Safe Mode should do. BTW what operating system are you using?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.