Author Topic: Installation problem: 'vc_red.msi' is on a network resource that is unavailable  (Read 8995 times)

avusr1

Hello,
Uninstalled AVG free 2013 and the tried to install Avast free (from the avast site) on a Vista x64 HomeP.
During the installation i got this error:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'vc_red.msi' in the box below." (there's a browse option next to the box).

I read a bit and found out that AVG was not fully uninstalled (still in the remove program list  >:(), so i uninstalled it with a tool from their site and then it was gone.
I also installed the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) SP1 just in case that the cause of the problem... but uninstalling and reinstalling Avast still gets the same error.

I should mention that pushing 'cancel' on the error box still ends the Avast installation successfuly! should i just ingore the error and believe all went OK?

Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
did you reboot after removal.....

here is a similar problem.... you find more if you google
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19499.page

avusr1

No luck... i did read alot on Google before posting here, and it did not fix my problem.
I decided to uninstall Avast and use Avira free insted :).

Thanks anyway!