Author Topic: How to get rid of Nag-Screen when Update expires in Feb. 2014(!)  (Read 14738 times)

Offline Anacunga

Hi, have here avast that expires on 1st of february 2014 – that will be in more than in one year – but even then I get at least daily a nag-screen telling me that I won't be protected soon as my version would be outdated – even if an update of the virus-database is done at least daily, if not several times a day.

Btw: here in use is V4.8 – not only because v7 makes surfing unbearably slow on a slower machine (page loading lasts up tens of seconds if the page contains scripts, you always have to wait for nothing (or better: to wait for avast7), the everything covering nag-screen* when manually updating** etc.); avast 4.8 is very nicely designed on the surface whereas avast 5/6/7 is unacceptable.

*It is absolutely unnecessary to open a everything covering update window that is not respecting to keep in the background and is always stealing focus – even if stealing focus is declared not to be allowed. V4.8 is very nice solution compared to that of V7!

**I won't discuss anymore why automatic update is not allowed here, but as soon as an update is announced, the update will be installed within seconds to minutes – but not before the running task is completely done, the internet line is free, etc.

So how to get rid of the daily nag-screen (the update-license is still valid for more than one year)?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How to get rid of Nag-Screen when Update expires in Feb. 2014(!)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
So how to get rid of the daily nag-screen (the update-license is still valid for more than one year)? (?)
install latest version....
support for avast 4.8 has been running on overtime since avast 5 arrived. lates info was that would end with 2012

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »
I believe support for the avast 4 version will cease anytime soon so ( it should already be finished ) which is why your receiving the alerts.

Your going to have to update to the new version I'm afraid.

Sorry Pondus, didn't see your post.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
Sorry Pondus, didn't see your post.
OK....i forgive you this time.   ;D

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
Sorry, but on those machines, I won't update to avast7 – in that case I'll choose a different product from a different company. AVAST4.8 is working very smoothly and even daily (ore more) updating with last virus definitions – but AVAST7 is slowing down so much that working with those machines is not really possible. Either there will be no AV protection at all (probably not) – or a different product that is not making so much trouble; but AVAST7 will not be installed there, sorry!

BUT THAT NAG-SCREEN REALLY DOES NOT HAVE TO BE!!! The only thing to nag would be to tell as soon as updates are no longer offered – but that is obviously not yet the case! HOW TO TURN OFF THAT UNNECESSARY NAG-SCREEN???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:54:53 PM by Anacunga »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:58 PM »
I don't think it is possible to turn off as it's a warning that your about to lose your protection.

If you don't want to update to a newer version then that is your choice.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
Support for Avast 4.8 was due to cease at the end of 2012, this has been coming for some considerable time. So if the life support switch has finally been thrown then there would be no VPS update stream as that is another difference in 4.8 to the later versions, so avast has to maintain two separate update streams.

I would have though that the screen would be for Obsolete version as we have seen a few times in the forums.

As an avast user I don't know for certain if this (end of support for 4.8 ) is the reason you are experiencing this and if so what you can do to resolve it other than using one of the later versions if your systems OS supports them (not win9.x or winME).

You talk of an update license, so I can only assume that you are talking of avast 4.8 Pro, if this is correct then it is possible to convert that license to the later versions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
No, it's not a Pro Version, it's 4.8 home edition; but still getting VDB ...

Please consider: it's not that I don't want to update to the latest version, but the result is that those machines are no longer usable. One of the most ugly problems is ActiveScripting when webbrowsing: with v7 you even can't scroll normally on facebook, you always have to wait for 5 to ten seconds before clicking anywhere – otherwise you click onto the wrong thing as there is still some scrolling in action. when turning v7 off (or using v4.8 instead) the problem is away and you can use fb quite normally. but fb is only one of the worst websites that this problem occurs; there are many others that have the same problem: with v4.8 no problem, with v7 absolutely unusable; or if you want to post something you cannot entero more than one character per second – you can write faster – but then see how the characters are entered one by one. Turn v7 off, problem is away. Other example: wikipedia – when looking at some special subpage (page history or else) with v7 turned on you can first wait for about 15 or 20 seconds until you get the error report, that the script seems to have timed out – and you are asked if you want to abort the script. This does neither happen with v4.8 nor with v7 turned off.

So v7 is not usable on slow machines (that are no problem for using as bureau-machines).

So v4.8 is absolutely not "obsolete" as long as v7 is making such troubles!

Another thing is the focus stealing everything covering nag-screen if you update manually. That was very nicely and smoothly done in v4.8 – but why is that not possible in v7??? Why does this have such a disgusting behaviour???

Either the (surface) behaviour will be more like v.4.8 in forthcoming v8 – or avast is no longer a product to use here – sorry to tell you that. There are alternatives on the market (even if avast can – apart from described problems – still be considered being one of the best).

Again: I really would like to use latest version – but the machines get unusable with it – and the everything-covering focus-stealing nag-screen when manually updating makes people hate avast for that, sorry to tell you that! There is absolutely no necessity to maek that screen sooooooooo big that it even does just hardly fit (and cover everything) on a netbook-screen of 1024x600!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:58:57 PM by Anacunga »

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
As for the problem stated I too have netbook where version 7 of avast is pretty much unusable, apart from problems Anacunga stated on some pages to absolutely cut off internet connection.

But my shot which does work on netbook is 6.1367 - so instead of making another topic, I would like to ask, if version 4.8 of avast is going to end, when it will happen to version six as well? Because it looks I would have to reinstall whole OS on that netbook for newest avast to work properly

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
Yes the 4.8 support is going to end, it should have already and I'm not sure when support will cease for the 5/6 versions.

Version 8 should hopefully be out in the next couple of months so support for the old versions needs to finish so resources can be directed to the new versions and there development.

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
But who can tell me, when even the version 7 is almost unusable for my netbook, if the version 8 will be? So it's not that easy as it looks. I hope it will be supported at least for some time. Even version 4.8 was supported for very long time. About at least 4 years I do believe.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
But who can tell me, when even the version 7 is almost unusable for my netbook,
did you uninstall the previous used.....or preinstalled AV that came with it before you installed avast ?
did you run the vendors removal tool so all conflicting files was removed ?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:53 PM »
As for the problem stated I too have netbook where version 7 of avast is pretty much unusable, apart from problems Anacunga stated on some pages to absolutely cut off internet connection.

But my shot which does work on netbook is 6.1367 - so instead of making another topic, I would like to ask, if version 4.8 of avast is going to end, when it will happen to version six as well? Because it looks I would have to reinstall whole OS on that netbook for newest avast to work properly

I have avast 7.0.1474 on my Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU. I did a user upgrade from the 1GB of RAM to 2GB and that made a difference, not just for avast but running win7 with only 1GB.

~~~~
The major problem with avast 4.8 is that it has a different virus definitions update stream (changed in avast5), it isn't the same as avast 5/6/7 virus definitions update. The major issue is maintaining that additional virus definitions update stream.

The same isn't true of avast 5/6/7 which have the same update stream so avast 6 is likely to have a reasonably long life with virus definition updates.

That said the major issue would then be what OS is being used; some considerable time ago avast were going to drop support for win9.x and winME, but that got a stay of execution as avast 4.8 was still supported until 4.8 life support is switched off. At some point avast will be introducing features that won't work on older OSes, like win2k and winXP, but that is likely to be that those users won't be able to use those features which aren't supported by the OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Even version 4.8 was supported for very long time. About at least 4 years I do believe.

Avast! Home Edition 4.8.1169 Released: 30 Mar 2008      http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/history/4/

Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.377   Released: 20 Jan 2010      http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/history/3/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 05:16:40 PM by Pondus »

Offline Dynaheir

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »
But who can tell me, when even the version 7 is almost unusable for my netbook,
did you uninstall the previous used.....or preinstalled AV that came with it before you installed avast ?
did you run the vendors removal tool so all conflicting files was removed ?
Yes, I did. Running the removal tool as many times for any version of avast. I also ran unistalling tool before intaling first avast for norton which came with netbook. I tried three times instaling version 7 in there but to no avail.

I have avast 7.0.1474 on my Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU. I did a user upgrade from the 1GB of RAM to 2GB and that made a difference, not just for avast but running win7 with only 1GB.

~~~~
The major problem with avast 4.8 is that it has a different virus definitions update stream (changed in avast5), it isn't the same as avast 5/6/7 virus definitions update. The major issue is maintaining that additional virus definitions update stream.

The same isn't true of avast 5/6/7 which have the same update stream so avast 6 is likely to have a reasonably long life with virus definition updates.

That said the major issue would then be what OS is being used; some considerable time ago avast were going to drop support for win9.x and winME, but that got a stay of execution as avast 4.8 was still supported until 4.8 life support is switched off. At some point avast will be introducing features that won't work on older OSes, like win2k and winXP, but that is likely to be that those users won't be able to use those features which aren't supported by the OS.

Yes, ram upgrade sounds reasonable, but I can't afford it anytime soon. I thought about it too when there were problems with avast 7. I am glad to know there hopefully won't be still any set deadline for avast 6. It works on my pc, it's fast and so far I never encountered a single problem with it. On table pc I already have avast 7 but some minor glitches were present in here. It's not like I would rant about it, every program has it's glitches. I would like to continue using avast on both pcs so I will cling to version 6 with my netbook as long as I can. Or as long I don't have ram upgrade.