Author Topic: How to get rid of Nag-Screen when Update expires in Feb. 2014(!)  (Read 14737 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How to get rid of Nag-Screen when Update expires in Feb. 2014(!)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
I have avast 7.0.1474 on my Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU. I did a user upgrade from the 1GB of RAM to 2GB and that made a difference, not just for avast but running win7 with only 1GB.
yepp i did the same on my Lenovo singel core CPU running XP...and notised a big difference in response

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »
Quote from: Dynaheir
Yes, ram upgrade sounds reasonable, but I can't afford it anytime soon.

The RAM upgrade took me about 20 minutes going very slow and carefully, not as easy as adding RAM on a desktop. I searched for a video on upgrading RAM on my netbook system and there were several very helpful ones.

The biggest thing was only having one RAM slot I had to buy a 2GB RAM, used crucial.com to check my system for compatible RAM choice. This I purchased and it was reasonably priced then, possibly even cheaper now.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:47 PM »
The major problem with avast 4.8 is that it has a different virus definitions update stream (changed in avast5), it isn't the same as avast 5/6/7 virus definitions update. The major issue is maintaining that additional virus definitions update stream.
This is "something internal" of avast – so as a user I don't care how and on what stream the VDB-update is coming – as long as it IS coming.

The issue and problem is that avast7 is unusable on a notebook with something like PIIIM or Celeron 1200MHz having 512MB of RAM (unable to put more than 1GB) and runnig w2k and/or XP. The problem is: turn avast off the machine is very nicely usable for many "bureau"-things (sure, not for photo- or video-editing – but that's not the topic); there are still lot's of machines like that in a absolutely perfect state (looking like new), and perfectly usable for standard office work. It's not that avast7 is not installable; but if you do that, the device is no longer normally usable as everything is too slow; even a PI/200 with 32MB of RAM (or something similar overaged) without AV-protection would be faster – and that performance decrease is just not acceptable – specially when having in your backhead that avast 4.8 is not only doing just that what is needed, but also more or less the same as v7, but working nicely and not decreasing performance so much.

As said: what update stream is used is absolutely secondary (or even totally irrelevant) directly for the user – as long as he gets the updates.

That said the major issue would then be what OS is being used; some considerable time ago avast were going to drop support for win9.x and winME, but that got a stay of execution as avast 4.8 was still supported until 4.8 life support is switched off. At some point avast will be introducing features that won't work on older OSes, like win2k and winXP, but that is likely to be that those users won't be able to use those features which aren't supported by the OS.

Again: these features that the OS is not supporting could just be turned off instead of slowing down the device (but I've no idea if that's the reason).

Again (in maybe quite hard words): if the avast programmer are not able not bloating up the new version 8 so much that it's not running smothely also on a PIII/1GHz with 512MB of RAM under w2k/xp, the solution will be either no AV-protection at all (what I can't recommend) – or some other product (and that's also something that I don't like to recommend)! But keep in mind: basic protection is needed – more would be luxury (that those whol still use w2k/xp don't care anyway); that's the important thing!

And the other question is: why need support – as long as the stuff is working and regularly updating?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:38 PM »
The fact that you don't care how they achieve it so long as you still get them isn't looking at their side of the equation, that additional stream has a time, manpower and cost factor. So as an avast free user I don't have a problem with avast ensuring their resources are devoted to this one stream. They can be expected to support avast 4.8 forever, that is an economic fact of life.

You could turn that argument on its head, why don't people upgrade their old and dated systems and the answer for some would one of cost, everyone has to cut their cloth according to their means and that is no different in the commercial world.

The features unsupported by the OS aren't switched on, even if they were they would in effect be inert and not using any resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:47 PM »
so as a user I don't care how and on what stream the VDB-update is coming – as long as it IS coming.
That's what we are saying, you need to care as very soon your updates wont be coming and you can complain all you like about wanting support for 4.8 to continue but your going to be out of luck I'm afraid, other than the stated facts about 4.8 requiring a separate VDB stream to maintain it also doesn't provide any of the latest protection benefits ( modules ) for todays infections.

It's time to update that old system.

By the way, I look after an old XP system for a friend which is only 800MHz with 1Gb of DDR ram and it runs fine with avast 7 as long as you restrict the amount of running processes ( stop un-needed start-ups )

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
so as a user I don't care how and on what stream the VDB-update is coming – as long as it IS coming.
That's what we are saying, you need to care as very soon your updates wont be coming and you can complain all you like about wanting support for 4.8 to continue but your going to be out of luck I'm afraid, other than the stated facts about 4.8 requiring a separate VDB stream to maintain it also doesn't provide any of the latest protection benefits ( modules ) for todays infections.
Sorry to ask in some kind of provocative way - but are the avast-programmers so stupid not to be able to differentiate between "software is declared outdated" and "updates won't come anymore soon"? IIRC the message in the warning only tells that an outdated version would be in use and not that VDB-update-stream will come to an end soon! As a user of 4.8 I am at least, if not more than 100% aware that I don't use the latest version and that I don't have be told daily that I am using a declared outdated product.

It's time to update that old system.
I'd rather say: it's time for avast to offer a solution that is running as smooth as 4.8 does. Again: it's not that I don't want to update - but I'm not gonna make an unusable system out of it; and v7 is rather unusable on slower machines (that are not so slow without avast or even with avast 4.8!)

By the way, I look after an old XP system for a friend which is only 800MHz with 1Gb of DDR ram and it runs fine with avast 7 as long as you restrict the amount of running processes ( stop un-needed start-ups )
Again: it's not only that; it's mainly ActiveScripting that v7 really has a problem with; but some websites won't run without scripting turned on - and the result would be to turn off avast for visiting these sites - AND THAT'S DEFINITELY NOT THE PURPOSE OF AN AV-SOLUTION (to be turned off then, when it's mostly needed).

Ignoring how far avast 8 is developed so far - but make two things: DON'T SHOW A ALWAYS FOCUS-STEALING EVERYTHING-COVERING NAG SCREEN IN A TOO BIG FORMAT when manually updating (some small window in the lower right corner of the screen is more than enough - and it should only appear for 2-3 seconds after having clicked on "manually update now" and can reappear for 2-3 seconds as soon as update is done. a small window as in automatic updating (or announcing updates for manually updating) is absolutely enough - more is really not needed and only a very ugly and bad meddlesomeness against the user) - and MAKE IT USABLE FOR SLOW MACHINES, specially when using activescripting! Otherwise I really have to look for a different product from another company (what I don't really want!).

Again: surface behaviour and speed-decrease of 4.8 is what I am asking for - not more and not less; and if the programmers can do that the better; if they can't I have to look for a different AV-solution. It's so simple as that.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
I don't think it is possible to turn off as it's a warning that your about to lose your protection.
It really does not look so: it's just a general demand for update in no visible context; and why it is in german is also not visible (I don't care – but that system runs in english, even if localized for switzerland).

Edit: the text tells me that my AVAST-protection would run out soon. But the license will last until February 2014 (what is even more than one year; and that's not "soon")!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:17:00 PM by Anacunga »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 02:23:11 PM »
You fail to tell us what avast version you are actually using (4.8, 5, 6, free/pro/AIS, etc.) as that would have a direct effect on your protection ?

Support for avast 4.8 was meant to cease at the end of last year, so if using that no matter how long your license is for if the virus definitions cease. Those with legit licenses for avast 4.8 pro can convert their licenses.

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 07:06:40 PM »
avast! version 4.8 Home Edition – Free Antivirus
 Build Sep2009 (4.8.1368)
 Xtreme Toolkit version 1.9.4.0
 Using ActiveSkin version 4.2.7.3

VPS file (virus database)
 Compilation date: 14.01.2013
 File version: 130114-0

Registration Key: (not to be presented here)
 Type: Home
 Updates expiration: Samstag, 1. Februar 2014 00:00:00

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 07:19:23 PM »
I don't think it is possible to turn off as it's a warning that your about to lose your protection.
It really does not look so: it's just a general demand for update in no visible context; and why it is in german is also not visible (I don't care – but that system runs in english, even if localized for switzerland).

Edit: the text tells me that my AVAST-protection would run out soon. But the license will last until February 2014 (what is even more than one year; and that's not "soon")!
Yes it's a general demand for you to update because your about to lose your protection ( the free version is also offered in that picture ) it doesn't matter how long your 4.8 version says it is licensed for as the dates are automatically set for another year from when you last renewed and do not take into account the dates that the product will cease being supported which should have happened already.

You need to either update to the newest free version or start looking for another AV as the one your using now is running on borrowed time.