Author Topic: Boot time scan from USB thumb drive  (Read 18799 times)

tbint

Boot time scan from USB thumb drive
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:03:21 AM »
I was wondering if there is a way to get the boot time scan on a USB thumb drive. Definition update would be trouble some. If you set a boot time scan and restart, a batch file or something is executed before windows starts to load. Correct? So the definitions are stored in a folder on c:/ somewhere.

Surely the boot time engine could be installed to a thumb drive and configed to use definitions to a folder on the thumb drive. I was wanting this for those times you run into a pc that does not have Avast! installed or the virus has taken over the maintainace/security functions of windows. I looked at the rescue cd/dvd. What is killing about the cd/dvd is the live definition update, and NIC/Wireless drivers.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Boot time scan from USB thumb drive
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:59 PM »
I don't think it's possible to run the boot-time scanner from a flash drive - the drive is not yet mounted (or at least doesn't have a letter assigned) at the moment the scanner is (or rather, would be) started.

Petetech888

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
Hi tbint,
In my experience Avast able to eliminate some infections, but... is more slanted towards the Prevention rather than the Removal of Viruses & Infections.
You seem to know enough to begin looking for what you need, but to help you or someone else looking at this post...

There are some very good pen drive (or thumb drive) portable tools available, (also a great number of bootable cd/dvd isos on the net) the majority are free; that enable you to remove "infections" after booting into safe mode.
After that you can install Avast & run a boot time scan which should in effect tidy up any loose ends.

To address some of the more garden varieties of infections:
1/ Boot into Safe Mode with networking by pressing f8 repeatedly after you see the manufacturers screen or logo.
2/ Run a virus or malware scanner, & if possible update them online after installation but before running the scanning process.
3/ Reboot & install Avast Free version a schedule a boot time scan to tidy up any loose ends.

There are always exceptions that will hijack the safe mode process, but that is when you either need to take your system to a professional virus remover or get googling from a clean system.

thanks.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 12:39:20 PM »
Couldn't you just use the same technology that is used on the avast bart cd or rescue cd. I mean just create an avast boot usb stick using the same technology that is in the avast rescue cd.