Author Topic: Cannot connect Avast Email alerts with Gmail,Yahoo,or AOL  (Read 6580 times)

xtra51

Cannot connect Avast Email alerts with Gmail,Yahoo,or AOL
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
Hello!  I have been trying for about 4 hours now to get Email notifcations pushed out through Avast for virus alerts.  I have tried Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, thinking that there might be some issue with the client or the servers on their side.  I have also googled this issue and have been researching for the majority of the time.  I am an IT professional and would like to get this working on my client's computers, but this process needed to start virtually before I can role out with it on their computers.  I am using all updated software and my Virtual Computer is Windows 7 64.  Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

-Will

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Cannot connect Avast Email alerts with Gmail,Yahoo,or AOL
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »
I have been trying for about 4 hours now to get Email notifcations pushed out through Avast for virus alerts.
if you mean the "scanned by avast" note......it was removed in latest versions

xtra51

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:12 PM »
No I am talking about the feature that will inform the administrator that there is a virus on the machine.

-Will

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
Aha you mean the one that send mail to a selected address...
One of the uberevangelists here have tested this on every version.....and never got it to work

xtra51

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
So is it safe to say that this portion of the product does not work?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
So is it safe to say that this portion of the product does not work?

In all of the time I have had avast in all of its free versions from avast 4.x. to 7.0.1474 I have never managed to get this to work.

Generally it isn't something that I require, but every now an then when the topic is raised in the forums again I try it and generally it fails. I get as far as being able to use the Test function, but a live test using say the eicar virus test file, the SMTP notification fails to send the email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xtra51

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 03:13:38 AM »
Yah I do not even get to the testing option.  The system just does not do anything.  EICAR is used but the notification is not sent out.  I would really like to get this working and I am very glad that I am not the only one with this problem.  I was using Gmail initially, but according to my research this was rather hard to configure.  I guess none of them work.  If there are more people with this issue why has it not been addressed? 

-Will

xtra51

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »
Any thoughts?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Sorry, as I said I have never been able to get it to work in over eight and a half years. But as an avast user the incentive for me to try harder to find a resolution isn't there as in I don't use/need it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xtra51

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:12 PM »
I guess it is sort of frustrating to have a feature but it not work.  I know you all tried and I appreciate that but there is no point to have a feature that does not work. 

iroc9555

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:31 AM »
May be it is just luck or some some settings in the machine, but mine has always worked. See images

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »
I've just tested it with the same settings as iroc and for me it works too.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 12:44:58 PM »
Well just (wasted another hour of my life) tested it yet again using three of my accounts as sender and as recipient, in any mix and the test works fine, but the live test fails no matter what the sender account is or what the recipient account is.

I can get the test email to send but the line test using eicar fails every time. I though that it might have something to do with the fact that I have all my shields set to Ask as the first Action, so I changed that on the Mail and File System shield to Move to Chest, nada, didn't make a blind bit of difference.

So once again after eight years and nine months of using avast this fails miserably on my system/s (and I've had a few).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:46:32 PM by DavidR »

xtra51

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:02 PM »
I finally got the program to push out notifications because I downloaded an email program so that is all good now.  Now I have the problem that tests push but not actually virus messages.  Any thoughts?