Author Topic: Avast Setup seems to have modified itself  (Read 16095 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast Setup seems to have modified itself
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2003, 02:02:33 PM »

The file resides on Avast\Setup folder and the name is setup.ovr (13-9-03).

That's fine.

I permit that setup.ovr contact the Internet during an update of avast! (ZA pop-up).

I would like to know _when_ does it ask to connect to Internet. Can you perform some tests for me? (Removing from ZA and waiting for that popup and writing down when did that happen).

kubecj, I have removed it - I´m not sure when - probably when Pavel was insisting that this behavior is perfect (see this forum)...
Now, this file does not ask for Internet access anymore but I´m absolutely sure it asked sometime, probably when updating to 4.1.260.  :'(

The best things in life are free.

kubecj

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2003, 12:11:32 AM »
Okay, may I ask you to remember the request when next release will be out?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2003, 05:41:30 AM »
I would like to know _when_ does it ask to connect to Internet. Can you perform some tests for me? (Removing from ZA and waiting for that popup and writing down when did that happen).
I performed your requested test: I updated avast! yesterday (17-9), delete all entries for avast! in ZA and then I roll back my XP system before... (using Roxio GoBack). I boot and update avast! again and then, suddenly, the file setup.ovr asked for permition again. I´ll try to send you the images of the messages... Can you send me your e-mail?

Do you have any idea?  ???
« Last Edit: September 18, 2003, 05:46:31 AM by Technical »

kubecj

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2003, 12:49:09 AM »
So you just updated the program? Do you remember all the parts which were asked by ZA? My email is kubecj FUNNY_@_CHARACTER asw DOT cz

Thanks,

Fast

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2003, 12:47:28 PM »
This problem isn't really a problem but is due to the fact that Zone-Alarm counts it up to the list.
I use Outpost firewall and Outpost also detects the modification of the Avast-setup, also asks if I want to allow it but leaves the list of trusted programs to 3, because it replaces the former avast-setup by the new one as soon as I say "allow it".
The "problem" is a way of handling by ZA, not a nag of Avast.

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2003, 12:31:13 AM »
Hi Technical,

I checked the IP of your report and it took me back to your country. I assume it's your own IP in the time of posting.

Avast updater in any situation tries to get the hostname of the computer, even when not requesting 'real' internet connection. Just for reporting purposes.

So, as it tried to get your own hostname, it contacted internet for a while and ZA spotted that.

Next time, you may check that it's really your own IP by checking winipcfg (w9x) or ipconfig (w2k,wxp) programs.

I'll try to change that behaviour.

thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 01:16:09 PM by kubecj »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2003, 03:39:09 PM »
Avast updater in any situation tries to get the hostname of the computer, even when not requesting 'real' internet connection. Just for reporting purposes. So, as it tried to get your own hostname, it contacted internet for a while and ZA spotted that.
Isn´t a spyware behavior?  >:(

Next time, you may check that it's really your own IP by checking winipcfg (w9x) or ipconfig (w2k,wxp) programs.
Thanks but, the user knows his(her) own IP, why avast! need this?  :'(

Thanks.  ;)

kubecj

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2003, 09:11:33 PM »
Avast updater in any situation tries to get the hostname of the computer, even when not requesting 'real' internet connection. Just for reporting purposes. So, as it tried to get your own hostname, it contacted internet for a while and ZA spotted that.
Isn´t a spyware behavior?  >:(

I don't think so. This information is just for
a) statistical purposes - this info is just plotting various graphs etc. It can't even be used to contact you back.
b) reporting purposes - this is just stored in setup.log and normally (until you send it) doesn't leave your computer

Spyware (at least 'real' one) should also gather some information about you, your behaviour and your computer. We don't store such information, we don't send the information and we don't sell/give away your information to anyone else.

Thanks but, the user knows his(her) own IP, why avast! need this?  :'(

As written above - just for statistics/reports. No lists of MP3 files sent to RIAA  ;D

Thanks.  ;)

Don't be mistaken - I'm talking just about removing it from non-internet operations. In internet operations it will be still there. Just pop-up from setup.ovr should go away.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2003, 10:35:53 PM »
I don't think so. This information is just for
a) statistical purposes - this info is just plotting various graphs etc. It can't even be used to contact you back.
b) reporting purposes - this is just stored in setup.log and normally (until you send it) doesn't leave your computer

Spyware (at least 'real' one) should also gather some information about you, your behaviour and your computer. We don't store such information, we don't send the information and we don't sell/give away your information to anyone else.[\quote]

Sorry kubecj. The 'real' spywares always said that they have a Privacy Policy...  ;D

I'm talking just about removing it from non-internet operations. In internet operations it will be still there. Just pop-up from setup.ovr should go away.

Ok.  ;)