Author Topic: Can't get online with Avast?  (Read 10640 times)

steelcaress

Can't get online with Avast?
« on: February 18, 2005, 01:58:12 PM »
I tried Avast on Thurs Feb 18th.  I uninstalled AVG 6.0 (as support for that version died) and installed Avast on the advice of several users who've posted that they're very happy with it.  I was pleased to see it wasn't a memory hog and that the interface, while a bit confusing, was still pretty cool. 

But it wouldn't let me get online. 

No matter what I did, I couldn't get email or internet to work.  Shouldn't Avast automatically detect those settings and let me dance along my merry way? 

I gave up, on the idea that AVG 7.0 might allow me Net access (I was right) but AVG is such a memory hog that it's ridiculous.  Can anyone help me figure Avast out?  I work on computers for fun and for a living, which is why this is semi-embarrassing.

I'm on a Windows 98SE PC, 1.33 GHz, 256 MB RAM, wireless home network over a broadband internet connection.  Netgear router, Linksys cards, if that helps any. 

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere, but I'm a full-time dad and have no time to read a million forum posts. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Can't get online with Avast?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 02:06:52 PM »
I tried Avast on Thurs Feb 18th
What year? This year 18 feb is on a friday ;D

- Did you uninstalled AVG completely? (including removing the registry keys)
- Is Avast running?
- Are there any errors in Avast's log file(s)?
- Did you set the apropiate permissions for Avast in your firewall?
- What happens if you try to open a webpage? (error? if so which one?)

steelcaress

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 02:31:38 AM »
Well, I typically don't touch the registry, as deleting the wrong registry key is the kiss of death for a system -- even with scanreg/restore.

The logfile wasn't much help.  I don't recall what it said, but it said nothing about establishing a connection.  When I tested my connection thru Avast's setup, it couldn't download or update even.  It pinged my firewall a couple of times -- I let it through each time and gave it the appropriate permissions.

Avast isn't even on my system now.  I uninstalled it to put AVG 7.0 on there.  You can't have those two running at the same time -- it causes boot problems, from what I understand. 

I use Firefox 1.0 as a browser, and it just said it couldn't find the host for my homepage, or any other host, for that matter.

Avast Resident was up and running at that point, but it couldn't update itself because it couldn't find my internet connection, though there was bandwidth available and "ping" worked.  I turned off Resident to no avail -- still no connection.  I'd heard that sometimes it and ZoneAlarm had problems working together, so I figured it was a lost cause (at least at that time) and dumped it. 

I'd like to know if it's better than AVG, and what better test than a trial run?  AVG 7.0 seems not to like Win98SE, and devours memory like it's starving. 

Thanks for the previous help, and anyone who replies to walk me through this thing has my gratitude.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 11:10:10 AM »
Well, I typically don't touch the registry, as deleting the wrong registry key is the kiss of death for a system -- even with scanreg/restore.
A good uninstall util for avg or a good registry cleaner can do it for you safely.

Do I understand correctly that you had/have ZA as firewall?
If so, it is a known fact that ZA sometimes for no obvious reason prevent applications to acces the inet. Removing/reinstalling of ZA solves the problem. Especially version 5.x seems to have this problems.

I use Firefox 1.0 as a browser
Did you try to open pages with another browser to see if that one was working?

I'd like to know if it's better than AVG
People who have Avast on their systems tend to say yes. But no mather what av people have, they always tend to vote for their av. Detection rate of Avast is good as various decent tests show. (eg like the vb test) I would say it is more a matter if you find Avast working better on your system than others and if you like how you as user can interact with Avast better (or not)

Yes, many people complain about avg 7 and switch to another av. More and more people drop their current av for Avast. Whatever it is for them, Avast must have something that make them like Avast more than others.

Well, if you want to give Avast another try, let us know. We are here to help/guide you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 06:33:23 PM by Eddy »

trouble

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:35:51 PM »
I also can not get on line since I upgraded to home edition 4.6
It will not let me into the internet or into my hotmail email.
The message comes up that it can not be displayed and to run the refresh.  Well as long as avast is on nothing happens.

If I stop the protection everything is fine.

I have windows xp and internet explorer and norton firewall.

I need help  I like the avast before but if I can't do anything while it is on it is not doing me any good

I am sure it has to do with the providers but I dont really understand them   MY avast says 14 providers  4 running

I can't even tell you which four are running

I can get into my outlook express ok

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 04:16:32 PM »
I also can not get on line since I upgraded to home edition 4.6
It will not let me into the internet or into my hotmail email.

Both of these use the http port 80 which is monitored by the web shield, if they can't connect it is very likely your firewall is blocking ashwebsv.exe, it needs to have access. Can you manually set permissions to accept ashWebSv.exe?

I am sure it has to do with the providers but I dont really understand them   MY avast says 14 providers  4 running

There aren't 14 providers, so something is wrong, click on the avast icon the Resident Scanner window will show all providers and you should be able to see which are running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trouble

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »
Does anybody know how to go into norton firewall and see if ashwebsv.exe is blocked.  I have tried but dont seem to get anywhere
Also I have done a system restore and now my advast says on access scanner 8 and 5 are under pause provider   webshield being one of them

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 06:53:43 PM »
Have you checked the programs help file? Try a search for Program Authorisation or something like that.

Have you checked their web site's FAQs for the firewall?

I did a search on nortons site for 'manual program' without quotes and found several hits, this is probably the most relevant - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/16c1d01d537bf4d188256d8e0076b346/9839f2904979be5388256c370054f0da?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Personal%20Firewall&ver=2004%20for%20Windows%2098/Me/2000/XP&src=sg&pcode=npf&svy=&csm=no

You have to learn to use the tools at your disposal, learn about the programs installed on your system and gain the most from them - especially the programs related to your system security.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

trouble

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 02:31:48 AM »
I have gone into norton and put ashwebsv.exe for it to accept.  I still could not get into anything so I disable Norton Firewall.  I was able to get into everything except now when I get a message in my outlook express in says that avast was not tested.  It used to say clean.

I know I must seem extremely stupid and I admit that I am

I am a senior citizen and I just got a computer to use the email and play games and look up a few websites.

I really dont under what the avast should say.    It says that 5 providers are working and webmail is included in that  I have read and read and I still dont know why it would say not tested

I need any help I can get

Thank you

cherrycola

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 03:51:19 AM »
Have you at any time installed Panda Titanium/Platinum or Panda Truprevent? I'm asking because Panda Truprevent ("compliments" your existing anti-virus program) messed up my computer and corrupted my Kaspersky anti-virus. I also was having problems getting on the internet and couldn't upload etc.

trouble

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »
No I havent done anything like that  I just am at a lost

I was looking for mail protection wizard   the info I got was to go to Start-Programs-avast antivirus and then it was supposed to be able to click on mail protection wizard

When I did that I got the place to scan. 

Also on these protectors AM I supposed to have all of them going.

I am trying to understand but it keeps going over my head

I have even clicked on about avast and read up on things but I am still confused

I just need some basic things to do to make my email (outlook express) work ok     To scan my emails and say clean if they are

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 05:17:00 PM »
I was looking for mail protection wizard   the info I got was to go to Start-Programs-avast antivirus and then it was supposed to be able to click on mail protection wizard

When I did that I got the place to scan.
visit the User's FAQ thread, it will give you a lot of useful advice. In particular look at the Mail Protection Wizard post.

Also on these protectors AM I supposed to have all of them going.
Only the ones that you need, I have only four essential to my needs. These are Standard Shield, Internet Mail, Network Shield and Web Shield. Unless you use MS Outlook (not express) you don't need Outlook/Exchange provider.

I am trying to understand but it keeps going over my head
I have even clicked on about avast and read up on things but I am still confused
Hopefully the FAQ link above will help.

I just need some basic things to do to make my email (outlook express) work ok     To scan my emails and say clean if they are

trouble

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2005, 10:51:28 PM »
How do I get into resident task settings  I keep clicking on help and reading but have not come up with answer

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 10:53:01 PM »
Go there through the on-access control panel.

trouble

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 01:38:54 AM »
Here I am again stupid   where is the all access control panel   I have been thru the help menu so many times but I dont remember seeing something like that.

Are all these things located somewhere is the avast that I have not been into yet   I have clicked on almost every button

Please just give me a clue like start-all programs-etc   A step by step