Author Topic: Avast! 7 Internet Security using up to 75% cpu  (Read 2802 times)

websave

Avast! 7 Internet Security using up to 75% cpu
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:38:18 AM »
Hi, I have been using avast! 7 Internet Security for quite a while now and have noticed that avast! service is using up 75% cpu. When I am on idle, it shoots up to 75% then to 10 then goes up again. I have re-installed about 2 times now and the issue has still not been resolved. I have COMODO Firewall 6 as the firewall because I removed avast! firewall and I have SUPERantispyware. My OS is windows 8 running on a intel dual core. I'm thinking of going back to AVG...

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast! 7 Internet Security using up to 75% cpu
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
Have you excluded avast and Comodo from each other and set all instances of avast to allow all in Comodo ?

Did you use a removal tool to eliminate remnants of your last used Anti-virus before installing avast ? removal tools can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

websave

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
I will try adding exceptions. Do I still need to use a removal tool if I installed avast when I had windows 7 then formatted my hard drive and installed windows 8?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I will try adding exceptions. Do I still need to use a removal tool if I installed avast when I had windows 7 then formatted my hard drive and installed windows 8?
If avast was installed after formatting then you don't have to run the removal tool as everything would be completely fresh.

websave

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
Okay. I'm planning to re-install comodo because of an issue so i'll wait until i'm done to add exceptions.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:15 PM »
Okay. I'm planning to re-install comodo because of an issue so i'll wait until i'm done to add exceptions.
No Worries, the comodo program file gets added to the avast "file system shield" exclusions and any avast processes in the comodo applications list should be set to allow all.