Author Topic: Firewalls and Avast Home 4.5.561  (Read 4330 times)

songbird54

Firewalls and Avast Home 4.5.561
« on: February 18, 2005, 06:29:51 PM »
Hi all!

I've had the same problems a lot of you have had with updates not downloading.  After trying everything recommended by everyone, I finally uninstalled my McAfee Personal Firewall and now Avast works fine again.  However, I would like to have a firewall.  Somewhere in the forum someone said ZoneAlarm, Outpost and Kerio are good Freeware programs, but people have had problems with these too, right?  Could I get some recommendations, please?  I have a very old, Windows 98 excuse for a computer and it ran much better when the McAfee Personal Firewall was installed. I just don't want the Avast and Firewall to butt heads.

Thanks everyone!

Fast

Re: Firewalls and Avast Home 4.5.561
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »
Outpost and Kerio shouldn't give you any problems, but as stated before in this forum: as for firewalls, no two computers are the same.
I've had massive problems with a certain firewall, where hundreds of forum-users experienced no problem at all.
It's just a matter of trying.
On an older pc, I would definitely not use Zone-Alarm since it needs a lot of systemresources.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:47:26 PM »
I don't know... It's your choice. I'm using Zone Alarm and it works perfectly with avast! I just one week i'm using it (upgraded from windows firewall) and look at statistics! But I think the main thing is to configure firewall permissions correctly, as all firewalls are good.  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 09:30:35 AM by Ylap »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 06:52:28 PM »
All firewalls should work perfectly with Avast.
As Ylap said, you do need to configure them correctly.

songbird54

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:24:41 PM »
Well, thank you all for your information, but I beg to disagree.  All firewalls don't work. I corrected all of the settings in the firewall according to directions from Avast, but it still didn't work.  I'm happy to know it works for you.

lee16

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 07:34:05 PM »
Hi songbird54,

Although i have never used Mcafee firewall, theoretical it should just be a case of allowing avast to access the internet.

However if you would like to try another firewall Zonealarm if a nice firewall to use, i use Sygate myself, but when the new version of avast comes out they are not going to work to well together (loss of outbound protection),
Zonealarm works fine on my older machine downstairs, it shouldn't give you any trouble and is nice and easy to use, you can get it and somemore info from the following links.

Zonealarm Homepage: http://www.zonealarm.com/

Zonealarm Download page: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zaskulist_download

*Note*, just ignore the free scan thing on the second link, i find its not very good.

--lee
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 07:36:07 PM by lee16 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 07:59:54 PM »
No one said all firewalls work with avast!, the important word is should work.

All firewalls should work perfectly with Avast.

Was avast.setup allowed access in Mcafee? if not avast can't gain access to update and you get the failed to connect message. If your happy with Mcafee, it is worth doing a little work to stop it and avast butting heads. Reinstall it and lets us try to help, after the install, try doing a manual update of avast and Mcafee should ask ask if avast.setup can access the internet, answer yes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security