Author Topic: System tray icon.  (Read 4310 times)

The Dazza

System tray icon.
« on: November 13, 2004, 06:34:27 PM »
I have Avast 4.5 on both my pc's at home.  One works great with an Avast icon in the system tray the other is hard to tell if it's even working.  I would like the icon on my 2nd pc to show in the system tray - does anyone know how to do this? :D

techie101

Re:System tray icon.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 09:05:13 PM »
Daz,

Open up the either the MSconfig window or the Manager in XP.  Check to see if the process ashdisp is running.
This controls the icon in the tray.

Do you have "i" icon in the tray?

If you do not see the process, then go into Control Panel, Add/Remove and double click on the Avast line to open up the Options menu.  Here you will find an option to Repair Avast.  Choose it and then reboot.

See if the icon now appears.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:12:57 PM »
I have Avast 4.5 on both my pc's at home.  One works great with an Avast icon in the system tray the other is hard to tell if it's even working.  I would like the icon on my 2nd pc to show in the system tray - does anyone know how to do this? :D

Which are your operational system in both computers?
Did you change any value of the avast4.ini file?
The best things in life are free.

The Dazza

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 08:42:50 PM »
The pc that has an icon in the system tray is running Win ME and the other Win 2000 both office 2000.  I haven't altered any file, repairing Avast didn't work and couldn't seem to run MSconfig (never done that before!).  :o

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 09:32:06 PM »
Do you have any other antivirus in your system?
Maybe not...
Do you have ashDisp.exe running (click CTRL+ALT+DEL to see)?
Maybe better will be uninstall / boot / install / boot...
The best things in life are free.

The Dazza

Re: System tray icon.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 12:24:12 AM »
Hello. Sorry it's been so long, been busy! No, there is no other av on the pc.  ashdip.exe is not running either

The Dazza

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 12:27:29 AM »
There is no "I" anywhere in my system tray either.  Uninstalled and reinstalled from website several times to no avail. Ta.

olamoree

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 08:13:43 PM »
Same problem here, no icons.  They disappeared three days ago after I had downloaded and run some MS updates for my XP Prow SP1a.  In addition to the Avast icons, also ZoneAlarm Pro icon is missing,  ....as if my "security" icons had been done in.  I "repaired" and even reinstalled Avast 4 as well as ZA Pro, but still, NO Icons.  But I notice that when 'puter starts, MyComputer is opened to the Avast 4 directory in C:\\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast 4\Data --but no icons.  ashServ.exe is in the Process list but ashDisp.exe is NOT.  I CAN put in the icons by running ashDisp.exe, but wonder why this isn't running at startup.  Most importantly, Avast IS running and so is ZA, just no icons.  Any ideas?  Tnx