Author Topic: Outlook add-on for Avast is missing  (Read 3292 times)

VanguardLH

Outlook add-on for Avast is missing
« on: January 07, 2013, 06:35:32 AM »
Avast! Free 7.0.1474
Windows XP Pro SP-3
MS Office 2003 Pro

According to:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1384&nav=0,1,694

there should be an add-on that go installed into Outlook to let Avast do its scanning from within the message store.  Nope, no such add-on got installed.  I did a fresh setup of Windows XP, all updates, and applications, including MS Office 2003 Pro with the Outlook component included.  So Outlook was already there and it was working.  I then installed Avast and included its Mail Shield.

In Outlook and when I go to "Tools -> Options -> Other -> Advanced Options" and look at either the Add-in Manager or COM Add-ins lists, there is nothing listed for Avast.  To check if the add-on got installed but somehow disabled by Outlook, I went into Help -> About -> Disabled Items and nothing was listed there.  Do I have to separately acquire the Outlook add-on outside of the downloaded Avast installer?

Office 2003, including Outlook, was already installed.
Downloaded Avast today (7.0.1474) and installed it, including the Mail Shield.
The article above says 7.0.1473 should include the add-on.

To get Outlook working with Avast's Mail Shield, I had to configure Outlook's accounts to NOT use encryption (SSL).  Then, in Avast, I added the POP and SMTP server hostnames and SSL ports for my e-mail provider.  So Outlook is not getting any errors about connecting to the mail servers (presumably because Avast's Mail Shield is transparently intercepting the e-mail connections as a proxy between the e-mail client and the e-mail server).  So Outlook is probably working okay but I'd rather use the add-on which should permit in-store message interrogation by Avast.  That is, rather than just try to use a transparent proxy to intercept non-encrypted e-mail traffic, the add-on can interrogate the item record inside of the PST database file since Outlook has it open.  The add-on could interrogate an item (e-mail) to look at any attachments and optionally the body (although I don't see the point).  Not only would this let Avast get inside Outlook's message store (PST file) but also let it interrogate old e-mails previously retrieved and already sitting in that message store.  That is, Avast could also interrogate old e-mails when I happen to open/preview them.

Is there a problem with Avast 7.0.1474 in delivering the Outlook add-on?  Or am I supposed to magically divine that I'm supposed to obtain it elsewhere as a separate download?

No add-on in Outlook shows up for Avast.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:50:33 AM by VanguardLH »

Offline JuninhoSlo

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Outlook add-on for Avast is missing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
Avast Outlook Add-on in available only in Avast Internet Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Outlook add-on for Avast is missing
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
Avast Outlook Add-on in available only in Avast Internet Security
No, only the AntiSpam is a paid feature... The email scanning of Outlook is on the free version since from the beginning.
The best things in life are free.