Author Topic: Scheduled Scans Not Working - Windows 8 x64, Avast 7.0.1474  (Read 5558 times)

Berrex

Scheduled Scans Not Working - Windows 8 x64, Avast 7.0.1474
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »
Hey everyone. I have Avast set to perform a quick scan every day, Monday through Saturday, at 7 AM and a full scan every Sunday at 7 AM. I put my computer in standby when I go to bed, and have the "wake to scan" option enabled for both of these scans. However, the scans never occur until I am physically using my computer later in the day, usually after some 30 minutes of activity. The odd thing is that I can clearly see in Event Viewer that AvastSvc.exe is indeed waking my system at 7 AM every day as it's supposed to, but no scan shows up in Avast's scan logs. My system then returns to standby 60 minutes later, as I have configured in my power settings.

I have tried the "repair" option in Avast's uninstaller but to no avail. I have also attempted a full reinstall. Is this a known issue by chance? Is there anything else I can try doing to get scheduled scans to be carried out?

jrukim

Re: Scheduled Scans Not Working - Windows 8 x64, Avast 7.0.1474
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »
A similar problem with the scheduled time to go to look for a new virus definitinos update      . Yesterday only 7 hours after the scheduled default time 240 mts,  it goes to see if  there was an update available. Now I tried 30 mts to go check for updates and 60 mts   was gone without a check.
Could be an avast  or a windows 8 problem ?                                                                                                                           

Berrex

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »
Is nobody else experiencing this problem? It's still happening to me. It's kind of annoying. The day that I made this thread (the 20th) I moved the scan time back to 5 AM. So now I have a 5 AM scheduled scan with Avast and a 7 AM scheduled backup. Since then, the scheduled scan with Avast worked correctly at 5 AM on the 21st and 22nd, but has stopped working since. Yesterday, the 24th, the scan occurred during my scheduled backup at 7 AM instead of when it was supposed to at 5 AM. Not sure what that was about. And today it didn't scan at all and just started a full scan while I was sitting at my computer at 1 PM.

Something has the scheduler completely out of whack. Surely I'm not the only person experiencing this issue?

Ugh, and why are the CAPTCHAs necessary when I already have a registered account? I miss-typed it and had to re-type my entire post. :-\

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
Ugh, and why are the CAPTCHAs necessary when I already have a registered account?
Spam protection.....the spammers also register, but why do it easy for them   ;)
anyway it is only the first 3 posts

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
1) A quick scan once a week is plenty.
2) A full scan once a month is also plenty.

A daily scan is more than likely overkill. If your scans keep coming up "no threat detected" you should probably cut down on scan frequency. With all of the resident shields avast has to offer #1 and #2 are sufficient. I do a quick scan once a week and a full scan one a month.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Berrex

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:07:24 AM »
Ugh, and why are the CAPTCHAs necessary when I already have a registered account?
Spam protection.....the spammers also register, but why do it easy for them   ;)
anyway it is only the first 3 posts
Oh good, it's only for the first 3 posts. I can deal, then. Thanks. :)
1) A quick scan once a week is plenty.
2) A full scan once a month is also plenty.

A daily scan is more than likely overkill. If your scans keep coming up "no threat detected" you should probably cut down on scan frequency. With all of the resident shields avast has to offer #1 and #2 are sufficient. I do a quick scan once a week and a full scan one a month.  :)
I understand for your opinion, but when scans occur overnight it yields no inconvenience to me, so I might as well have it run daily on the off-chance that it might catch something sooner rather than later. Besides, this doesn't address the underlying issue. Whether I scan daily, weekly, or monthly, the scan still isn't being completed when it's supposed to be.

Berrex

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »
So does nobody have any idea why this feature seems to be broken? I was over at my father's place yesterday and checked his scan logs (I have him set up with Avast on Windows 7 with similar scan settings) and noticed that he's experiencing the same problem with scheduled scanning. Some days the scan works as expected. More often than not, though, it doesn't. A few scans will simply never be performed, or will be performed a few hours too late.

This is obviously not working properly, and I've just been able to establish that it isn't just me experiencing this behavior, nor is it isolated to Windows 8. Is anybody interested in addressing this?

websave

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
I have the same issue!
Specs:
Processor: Intel dual core

Avast:
Avast 7.0.1474
Database version: 130109-0
Full scan every Wednesday at 12:10 PM (I just changed it to 10:00 AM)