Author Topic: Network drive scan? And "ignore file" option...  (Read 4231 times)

Goja

Network drive scan? And "ignore file" option...
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:55:25 AM »
Hello,

I'm coming from Avira AntiVir (version 9.0 to be exact) and i'm baldy missing the "ignore" button when you get an alert.

Yeah i know, you people are going to answer me it's rarely false positive blabla... Well less than Avira for sure but still many.

Also if you select a path to ignore in the settings, for example some "Avast Free" folder, still you'll be copying your file from another place:

Avast will now "feel" those files are being copied from somewhere else, which is not an excluded path and so it'll detect it... So annoying!

Last thing (which was first in title...) seems like Avast doesn't scan folder of my network drive unlike ALL OTHER AV I TRIED... Paid version can do it?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Network drive scan? And "ignore file" option...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
This was discussed a lot of times...
Users will allow malware to be running if there is an ignore button...
After a whole decade discussing this, I don't think it will change...
The best things in life are free.

Goja

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:53 PM »
Ok thanks, what about the network folder scan?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
How exactly do you scan the network drive? What "scan" did you use? Did you use a UNC path, or is it mapped to a letter?

Goja

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
Ok maybe scan is not the right word. I'm talking about real time scaning, so that means scanning when i'm browsing that folder. Does paid version of Avast have this possibility as opposite to free version? All other AV i tested (free or not) do it...

Goja

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
Anyone to answer that simple question? Another thing now, really annoying... How do i set the Avast real time scanning to scan ONLY WRITEN files..? Cause it seems to be very slowly scanning random places or my drives where i got many false positives...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
Cause it seems to be very slowly scanning random places or my drives where i got many false positives...
what FP is that?

Goja

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:36 PM »
Some FP. Why asking that insted of simply telling me what i need to know, which is obviously a simple thing for people who know avast..?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:56 PM »
Ok maybe scan is not the right word. I'm talking about real time scaning, so that means scanning when i'm browsing that folder. Does paid version of Avast have this possibility as opposite to free version? All other AV i tested (free or not) do it...

There's no difference between free and paid version here - and generally the files should be scanned.
How do you say they are not? What operation with the files are we talking about?
Thanks.

The thing is that what you are describing sound weird - avast! should not be scanning "random places"; it looks like you may have a file infector, for example. Therefore the question for what is detected...

Goja

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
When you browse a computer on your PC, the real time scaning will scan them, that's normal... But when it's on my network drive, Avast indeed doesn't scan, otherwise it would notify me when i clic on some FP i got here. So Avast does not scan network places..?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
otherwise it would notify me when i clic on some FP i got here.
explain that.  ???
antivirus company to everything to fix/avoid false positives....so why should avast detect?

Goja

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
Hem ok... I will explain in total details : I have some known FP (i repeat THEY ARE KNOWN FP) both on local and network drive. If i go to the folder that contain it on the local drive, immediatly Avast will notify me it detected something (if not, it will after i right clic/proprieties on it). However on the network drive it doesn't ever notify me for the same files. I think now anyone can understand..?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:08:56 PM »
OK....
what malware name does avast give these files?
and what files are they?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Well, avast! doesn't scan the files for no reason - something must be touching them to trigger the on-access scanning (e.g. the file manager extracting the icons from the files, or some kind of indexing service - which might be in some cases hard to distinguish from real execution of the file). However, that behavior may be different on a network drive - maybe the files are not touched, or they are loaded differently, not triggering the (unnecessary, in this case) scan.
So the question is - is it detected if you really execute the file (should be safe if it's a FP?), not just browse the folder?
If not, then I'd ask - what kind of network share is it? Does your user account have rights for those files, or do you have to supply an additional password? Is the file detected if you scan it manually (e.g. from the Explorer context menu)?