Author Topic: Anti virus scan freezing....  (Read 8577 times)

aarangio

Anti virus scan freezing....
« on: February 19, 2005, 12:39:26 PM »

Hi ya,

could someone help please.....  I tried to do a virus scan and it keeps freezing on the scanned objects after just the first few files are scanned and the Cpu is screaming at 100%....i don't know if there's one simple answer but i hope....

these are my specs if needed...   Internet 512 ADSL.....XP Professional.... PC Dell Optilex G260n....512 Ram....pentium 4....

thanks in advance,

Adrian  ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Anti virus scan freezing....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 12:57:54 PM »
Is it always the same file/older that it hangs?
Does it really hangs or does it only look that way? (eg if it is scanning a large archive)
What exact version of avast?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 01:01:28 PM »
and does it happen even if you scan with archives disabled?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

aarangio

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 01:28:53 PM »
Hi ya,

thanks for the quick replies guys.....

Firstly i'm using Version 4.6 Home Edition with all the latest updates completed....

yes it is always the same folder/file which is hanging....problem to is it is one of the first folders/files scanned in a complete scan i tried to do..... so i waited for at least 4 mins and the CPU was screaming at 100%....however it scanned from 1058 -1062 files in that time...which I'm sure isn't right still....

archives was disabled....dunno how it was done... lol!! ....but i saw that when it was trying to scan...

so all together i've got to about 1062 files in about 4 mins....with the CPU screaming at me for help....

Adrian  ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 01:41:20 PM »
What file is it and in what folder?

aarangio

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 02:00:37 PM »
Hi ya Eddy....

it is a folder with Downloaded episodes of Smallville in it....

I've actually done a scan with that folder left out and i finally completed a scan...however i'd still wish that folder to be scanned rather than excluded....

also I was using Nortan anti viru before and i'm sure it scanned something like 42000 files with Avast after the first scan i only scanned about 18000 files.....is there a reason for such a low amount of files scanned??

thanks,

Adrian  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 02:30:14 PM »
They amount of files scanned depends on your settings.
eg archives included or not, normal/high scan etc.

Have you run a scandisk to see if the files are ok?

aarangio

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
Ummmmmm....sorry eddy....

not  very  computer literate...but how would i do a scandisk??  :-[

thanks

Adrian :)

lee16

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:05:52 PM »
not  very  computer literate...but how would i do a scandisk??

The name scandisk was changed to the name Chkdisk in XP.

To do a chkdisk, open 'My Computer' > right click the C drive (or the drive with the trouble folder on it) and select properties > then click the 'tools' tab at the top > then press 'check now' > check both boxes and click 'Scan' (may require a restart/reboot).

--lee

aarangio

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 04:53:53 PM »
Hi ya lee16,

thanks for that....i did that....it checked on the PC after i had to reboot....i don't know what was suppose to happen after it finished and booted up but i have no messages or anything about the scandisk appearing on my screen.....did i miss something ??  :-[

thanks ,

lee16

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »
i don't know what was suppose to happen after it finished and booted up but i have no messages or anything about the scandisk appearing on my screen.....did i miss something ??

When rebooting you should of seem a blue screen and then windows should of proformed a scan of your HDD surface. (looks like a normal on screen scan).

If you ticked both boxes, then windows wouldn't of prompted you to fix anything (if there was anything to fix that is), and then just booted up manly onto your desktop.

--lee

aarangio

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 05:52:07 PM »

Hi ya lee16,

that's what happened....i checked both boxes as you said ....rebooted and it scanned everything....then it started as normal.... not sure, but does that mean everything is ok then..... still have the same problem the scan sticking on the same downloads folder and 100%CPU ....don't know what else to do....any advice please..

thanks,