Author Topic: Windows XP PC disabled after avast installed  (Read 6634 times)

olddell

Windows XP PC disabled after avast installed
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:29 AM »
um, I THINK I'm posting in the right place !>>I installed the free avast antivirus program on an older Dell (2003); disabled prior Kaspersky (took up too much space), fully installed Avast. Ran ~ 1/2 of scan before restarting computer to use it; anything I clicked on (including Control panel), internet link no longer identified by computer, everything in control panel was identified as "Malware"  then on trying to restart the computer it now wants a password (windows wants a password; in 10 years I never had a password on this home desktop). I tried leaving the password blank (with user as "administrator) and got nowhere. Start button is no longer available on screen.  lots of info on there I need, so went to geek squad (( realize likely a mistake).; they said there was no point troubling a 2003 computer and extracted by files for 99.00. They said the Avast program was too new for the old Pc. . I have all the discs that came with the computer; is it likely I can get it functional again??? thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Windows XP PC disabled after avast installed
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:51 AM »
disabled prior Kaspersky (took up too much space),
disabled is not good enoug....you must uninstall previos used AV before installing a new
if not you will have a slower machine, mysterious windows errors and false detections...

also run the wendors removal tool to clear any leftover files that may conflict
tools and instructions are found here.  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:39:15 AM »
everything in control panel was identified as "Malware"
what malware name did avst give?
what files was detected as malware....location / full file path ?

is it likely I can get it functional again??? thanks
i will notifie the tech / malware expert, so check back tomorrow
he is usually here after work hours uk time..

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:44:20 AM by Pondus »

olddell

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 02:49:14 AM »
thanks for replies; re: "disabled", sorry I' m in health care not computers so used the incorrect term; I did uninstall the Kaspersky completely prior to the Avast download.

re: the "malware" I did not fully see what the alert was; when I clicked on my earthlink icon for internet connection a popup said that was not recognized or something.when I tried to get into the control panel,  It was actually an Avast popup that kept coming up in the corner saying that the "program" was corrupt  (the first time I actually was able to use the start key I got as far as install/uninstall within the control panel, but it said that (install/uninstall program) was "corrupt". At that point I tried to restart again and was left with the password predicament .   (am on a laptop now, but still hoping I can fix the old Dell tower myself once I pick it up)

olddell

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:42:41 AM »
I should point out too that in addition to no longer having the start key on my screen there is no task bar (so I cant click on an avast icon).  just a very simple windows screen with the box for user name and password.  I did read somewhere else today in trying to trouble shoot this about repeatedly pressing F8 to get the computer to safe mode BUT its a 2003; i'm not sure it has that (I know a newer laptop that was also XP DID have a safe mode so ???? maybe the F8 tactic???  (I'll check back tomorrow as another reply noted. thank you

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
Hi see if you can get into safe mode (irrespective of the computer age it is XP that runs that)

Reboot the computer and immediately start pressing F8
If you can then select Safe mode with networking and download the following programme

Download OTL  to your Desktop
Secondary link
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

• Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
BASESERVICES
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
services.*
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
winsock.*
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Attach  both logs

olddell

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:59 PM »
I saved the OTL to a disc (not going to assume I will be able to get onto the internet!) to download and will see what happens. (I should be able to download from a CD , right? )  (wont be able to try this till next week since out of town and computer still at Geek Squad. thanks

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:07:47 PM »
Yep you can run from the CD

olddell

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »
I'm expecting to finally be able to deal with this on Tuesday once I pick up the tower; just read thru your instructions again and want to be sure I understand. On the last directive to ""attach" both logs" is "attach" going to be one of the options on the screen I should be looking for?  (perhaps it should be obvious, but to me none of this is obvious!) thanks again (and I will post my (hopeful) success once I try this certainly)   

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:02 PM »
Yep the attachments option is at the bottom of the post

olddell

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:27:56 AM »
bad news; it seems I have further sickened the patient; I DID actually get into SAFE mode w/ networking, did get the OTL downloaded, then, because I didnt ask a question I should have; once I got intothat OTL, I mistakently thought I should run the program (click run) before adding that list of specifics.; When I went back to do that the mouse was frozen. I COULD get to the screen that gave various options (e.g. SAFE mode, safemode wth etc), but when I would choose anything (sadly I wish I had tried the key that said reset to another date; that would have been interesting to see if that worked, but too late) it would quickly get to a blue screen "Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close,  Unsurmountable_boot_volume, etc etc contact your administrator etc.  this was labled the "blue screen of death" by a friend.  I was given instructions to try start/disc tray open/off such that the disc tray remained open; added the original Windows XP  OS......but same business of ultimately getting to the blue screen. I realize its a 2003 and likely near death, but I hate creating waste for a landfill and for my home purposes it had been working fine before I added the Avast antiviral program. does it sound hopeless? I remember someone else telling me something about holding the start button for 5 seconds....but I dont know where that fits in   thanx

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
Power the computer off and then on....  Are you able to get to windows ?

If not do you have a USB drive ?

Download Peazip to the desktop 
Run and install the programme
As it installs this page will show, deselect the AVG ticks
Press decline and it will then install cleanly 

Download the following files to the desktop .. Right click the links and select save as...then select desktop 

Iso2disc

OTLPE_standard

Right click OTLPE on your desktop and select  ..Open as archive 

Select OTLPE standard 

Click Extract, ensure that desktop is selected 

Insert the USB stick Then run ISO2disc 

Select the ISO file on the desktop, select Burn to USB Flash Drive .
Press Start Burn

Once it has completed then boot from the USB

Insert the USB into the sick computer and start the computer.  First ensuring that the system is set to boot from USB
Note: If you are not sure how to do that follow the instructions Here
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved  in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.   
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

olddell

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »
I'm copying all that onto my laptop (out of town again), as well as the programs onto a flash to give this the old college try. 

Re: your first question "can you get into windows".  I am again away from that old Dell, but when I turn it on it wants a user and password; I CANdo f8 to go to safe mode options etc. But; choosing anything on there resulted in the bad blue screen.    Thanks