Author Topic: New Ransomware - Your computer has been blocked by the police  (Read 3284 times)

mmark89

New Ransomware - Your computer has been blocked by the police
« on: January 11, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
NEW RANSOMWARE

Today a new ransomware appeared on my computer that said in Hungarian "A számítógépe a rendőrség által blokkolva lett", in English "Your computer has been blocked by the police". I couldn't close it or anything, they wanted me to pay about a hundred bucks. Do not pay!

My Avast actually tried to block this virus, also gave the warning sounds but failed. I ran it in Safe Mode but it didn't find any threats. If there's anyone reading this from Avast Support, maybe you should consider including this virus definition in the next update.

SOLUTION
The programs on youtube removal manuals are useless. Run Windows in Safe Mode (restart computer, press F8 before Windows loads, and select Safe Mode with Prompt) and restore your system, that solves it. Since Avast and apparently any other anti virus is not able to deal with this, do not visit the website where you got the virus hopefully only till the next update.

Cheers

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: New Ransomware - Your computer has been blocked by the police
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

To be sure there is no further malware on your computer you should follow this instructions and attach the logs in your next post(s): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

nunrgguy

Re: New Ransomware - Your computer has been blocked by the police
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
I've now caught this ting twice in three days: Bogus PCEU ransomware trojan.
I'm a PC tech and recommend Avast to all my customers so as you can imagine this is of great concern. Yes I do know how to remove the thing which, on my one and only personal Windows system (all other systems are Linux) is a timely and expensive issue.

Avast detects the thing, flashes up the red square etc but then the system catches the thing anyway. It's going straight past all Avast protection guys even though Avast knows it's there.

I just hope that as Avast gets more popular it doesn't go down the route of the other mass marketed AV products and becomes first port of call for virus writers bypassing efforts otherwise I'll have to find something else to recommend. The likes of Norton make me a good income :)