Author Topic: Move or delete eicar causes freeze  (Read 10931 times)

EdB

Move or delete eicar causes freeze
« on: February 19, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »
I have 4.6.602 installed on a win95a system.  If I go to www.eicar.org and download eicar.com and choose delete or move when it is detected it causes the computer to freeze.  I am using IE 5.5 sp2 with all available patches (for win95) installed and on-access scan set to high.  Also, on-access will not stay set to high unless I manually shut down Avast before shutting windows down.

------------

Does this happen with all infected files?

Does the 4.6 final version (came out today) solve this problem.

--lee

-----------

The only file I have to test with is eicar.

The final version doesn't correct either problem.  In fact, the release version is causing frequent blue-screen crashes  irregardless of what I am doing on my computer.
 ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Move or delete eicar causes freeze
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 07:12:37 PM »
First, setting the Standard Shield to High on a Windows 95 system is not really recommended. The point is, this causes avast to scan all files on write which may be quite an overkill for this system.

Next, I recommend turning off the avast sounds. A number of Win9x users reported problems with sounds in conjunction with the avast virus dialog. The soundcard drivers somehow can't handle the situation where avast is blocking part of the system because a virus was found...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gbark

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 03:14:37 AM »
EdB,

I had the same problem.  Avast 2.5.x would pop up an alert and then freeze!  :'(

I tried "Repair" from the installer script, but it didn't help. I finally uninstalled Avast,  rebooted, ran my favorite registry cleaner (JV16Powertools), rebooted, downloaded and installed the latest version of Avast and the problem was solved.  ;D

Sometimes it's easier to just start over.

EdB

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 04:59:45 PM »
First, setting the Standard Shield to High on a Windows 95 system is not really recommended. The point is, this causes avast to scan all files on write which may be quite an overkill for this system.

Next, I recommend turning off the avast sounds. A number of Win9x users reported problems with sounds in conjunction with the avast virus dialog. The soundcard drivers somehow can't handle the situation where avast is blocking part of the system because a virus was found...

Thanks
Vlk

I found the problem:

On Win9x, you have to tell your browser to use HTTP proxy 127.0.0.1 on port 12080.

There isn't any need to set on-access on high if the browser is configured this way as it will detect ALL four test files on their site.....excellent!!  However, what isn't excellent is the lack of warning that older browsers have to be manually configured!!  :( >:(

lee16

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 05:25:28 PM »
However, what isn't excellent is the lack of warning that older browsers have to be manually configured!!

It is clearly stated in the help file  ;)

--lee

EdB

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 06:31:17 PM »
However, what isn't excellent is the lack of warning that older browsers have to be manually configured!!

It is clearly stated in the help file ;)

--lee

Let me start out by saying I am NOT trying to flame you!!  That said, even with web shield shut down Avast still froze.  In my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions   ;D) the need to manually configure older browsers should be prominently displayed during the program installation process instead of being buried within the help file.  Like I said before, not a flame, just my opinion.   :)

lee16

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
In my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions    ;D) the need to manually configure older browsers should be prominently displayed during the program installation process instead of being buried within the help file.  Like I said before, not a flame, just my opinion.   Smiley

I'm not sure that avast can pick up wether its an older browser or not, i could be wrong though, I'm sure someone from the avast team can say why it can/can't display this message  :)

--lee

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »
This is mainly because 90% of users have NEVER heard of anything like PROXY SERVERS in their lives, and DON'T WANT to hear about this stuff. Displaying such BIG message boxes saying that you need to do this and that is not very popular, especially among the computer-illiterate people.

There's a number of options in avast that you can fine-tune, if you are interested (especially on Win9x where not everything is working automatically)....

Anyway, I think this thread is becoming off-topic. Let's focus on the freezes. ;)

Thanks
Vlk

EdB

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2005, 07:25:39 PM »
This is mainly because 90% of users have NEVER heard of anything like PROXY SERVERS in their lives, and DON'T WANT to hear about this stuff. Displaying such BIG message boxes saying that you need to do this and that is not very popular, especially among the computer-illiterate people.

There's a number of options in avast that you can fine-tune, if you are interested (especially on Win9x where not everything is working automatically)....

Anyway, I think this thread is becoming off-topic. Let's focus on the freezes. ;)

Thanks
Vlk

The freezes occurred while trying to delete the eicar test file and stopped after configuring the proxy servers.  Once Avast froze it became very unstable and rebooting then running scan disk made no difference.  The only way to make the program stable again was to completely uninstall the program then reinstall.  Off-topic?  I thought the point of these forums is to report problems and hopefully offer constructive feedback.  Like I told Lee this is NOT a flame!!  Despite an occasional bug I like Avast more than any antiviral program I have ever used....keep up the good work!!  :)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 07:34:45 PM »
Off-topic means that if a thead has the title "Move or delete eicar causes freeze" we should indeed discuss eicar-related freezes here. If you want to suggest that Win9x users should be somehow notified about the necessity of reconfiguring their web browsers for WebShield, please post a separate thread.

Please note that about 90% of forum users are (passive) readers - those who search for information (and often find). Off-topic discussion makes it much harder though...

Vlk

EdB

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 12:08:26 AM »
"Off-topic means that if a thread has the title "Move or delete eicar causes freeze" we should indeed discuss eicar-related freezes here. If you want to suggest that Win9x users should be somehow notified about the necessity of reconfiguring their web browsers for WebShield, please post a separate thread."

----------------

post : I have 4.6.602 installed on a win95a system.  If I go to www.eicar.org and download eicar.com and choose delete or move when it is detected it causes the computer to freeze.
----------------

post :  Let me start out by saying I am NOT trying to flame you!!  That said, even with web shield shut down Avast still froze.

----------------

post : The freezes occurred while trying to delete the eicar test file and stopped after configuring the proxy servers.  Once Avast froze it became very unstable and rebooting then running scan disk made no difference.  The only way to make the program stable again was to completely uninstall the program then reinstall.

---------------

If these post aren't about eicar-related freezes what is?  Sounds like someone can't take even minor criticism about their software and I am just wasting my time posting here.  This is my last post on this thread.

Merlin67

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 04:45:03 AM »
Oh,yes the virus-warning-dialog is freezing on my computer too,as long as the sound events are activated,under win98 that is.
Strange thing,it's a new nasty effect not present with the last beta versions or even avast 4.5.
I've never seen it b4.

neiby

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 05:58:59 AM »
If these post aren't about eicar-related freezes what is?  Sounds like someone can't take even minor criticism about their software and I am just wasting my time posting here.  This is my last post on this thread.

Perhaps you are, but's that's up to you. All he said was that each thread should deal with one problem only. It can be confusing when a new topic is started within a thread. Vlk asked that if you want to discuss a separate issue then start a new thread so that this thread only discusses the first freezing problem you mentioned.

I don't see how that indicates a problem accepting criticism. He simply wants the topics to remain as organized as possible to make it easier for others to find the solutions to similar issues.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 10:13:40 AM »
Merlin, so do I understand it correctly that when you turn off the sounds, everything is OK?

Maybe a strange question: how "quickly" after restart did you scan eicar (when the freeze occurred)? I mean, were you running Windows for a while, or was it right after a fresh boot?

Merlin67

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 11:52:34 AM »
Hi Igor,

i didn't had the freez with the Eicar file,it was a real virus detection.The alarm sound worked fine,but the dialog window was just frozen.This happend after quite some time of windows running.I had to kill the dialog with the taskmanager,to get rid of it.