Author Topic: 127.0.0.1 vs Server name. Help pls.  (Read 4225 times)

OzzieJoan

127.0.0.1 vs Server name. Help pls.
« on: February 20, 2005, 08:12:37 AM »
 >:(
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I can't find exactly my situation on here, so please be patient.

Despite altering the .ini file as specified in the Help File, my Server flatly refuses to allow e-mails in or out of Outlook Exchange Mailbox. I did the following:
In Outlook Express, set your servers for incoming and outgoing messages to default. Set your username and password to the correct values as well.
Try to send and receive your e-mail. All should work now, but without the protection of avast!
Now, close Outlook Express (very important!!!).
Start the Mail Protection Wizard (Start ® Programs ® avast! Antivirus ® Mail Protection Wizard).
Follow the instructions.
At the end, you can launch Outlook Express again.

Next time I booted, the 127.0.0.1 had returned.

Whilst the Help section says that making this alteration to the .ini file will not affect the virus scanning performance, I do not find that to be the case. I then did this:

Open avast4.ini file in Notepad editor. You will find this file in the folder Data in your avast! installation folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\avast4\Data.
Find the section named [MailScanner]. Write these lines into this section (if they already exist, change them):
DefaultSmtpServer=smtp.server.com
DefaultPopServer=pop.server.com
DefaultImapServer=imap.server.com (only if you are using IMAP server for incoming mail).
Replace smtp.server.com by the address of the SMTP server you are using, e.g. smtp.tiscali.com. Do the same for POP (and IMAP) server (e.g. pop3.tiscali.com).

Followed by this:

Launch your mail program.
Let the program display the account settings.
If you want to check outgoing messages, change the address of SMTP server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1.
If you want to check incoming messages, change the address of POP (IMAP) server to the address of the local computer, i.e. 127.0.0.1.
Change user (login) name this way: append the character # (double hash) and the address of your POP (IMAP) server (the same as you specified in the avast4.ini file in Step one). Login name should then look like this:
Ann.Jones#pop3.tiscali.com

On checking the Properties of an incoming e-mail when the settings are POP3 mail.burnett.net.au and SMTP mail.burnett.net.au, altered as above, the specified message:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 4.7.2003), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 4.7.2003), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

.......does not appear.

I am running Win 98 (yes, dreadfully old fashioned I know). I also have Mailwasher but that seems to be able to access the messages but after that I can't download them to OE.

Do hope someone can help in very simple language please.

Thanks.
OzzieJoan

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: 127.0.0.1 vs Server name. Help pls.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 03:25:29 PM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2005, 03:27:00 PM by Eddy »

OzzieJoan

Re: 127.0.0.1 vs Server name.Update. Help pls.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 11:31:28 AM »
Many thanks Eddy, but none of the topics you suggested quite fits the bill. I don't have a firewall. Nor do I have a problem with Mailwasher.

The problem lies purely between my Server and Avast.

I will phone my Server tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. But otherwise my problem is exactly as stated above. I would add that the 'a' does twirl when mail is coming into my OE mailbox, but, as I said, there is no written confirmation contained in the Properties of the Message to say that any kind of virus check has been made other than that done by my Server.

OzzieJoan

lister

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 11:45:06 AM »
You must enable messages to be inserted into clean inbound or outbound mail in the Internet Mail modules Customise tab - On-Access Protection Control.

OzzieJoan

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 12:03:38 PM »
Hello Lister,
Thanks for that. I don't want to have the usual AV message as part of my emails. It causes problems when posting to genealogy mailing lists.

However, when checking to see what you meant by your reply, I saw the confirmation that the last email scanned was the automatic one sent by this Forum to tell me of your reply posting. So, even though that piece of wording doesn't appear in the Properties section of the Message, it is being checked anyway or it wouldn't even know about that email.

So, I think all must now be well with it. I will set it to insert the message into the SMTP and IMAP incoming mails.

Thank you for pointing me to the answer :o)

OzzieJoan