Author Topic: Shows threat has been detected at well known sites and can't go to google search  (Read 32341 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Also for months the original problem has been coming and going
This to me would suggest a system error especially as nothing that combofix removed had any affect on explorer. 

wiguy4000

mute point now but things went to hell after combofix!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Unfortunately no two systems are the same, as you can see from some of the problems we have with Avast 8 and windows updates.  No tool can cater for all possible permutations that a windows computer may have.  Over the last five years I have lost maybe five or six systems out of the many hundreds that I clean up, so it will happen.  My failure rate is less than one percent at the moment 

wiguy4000

I do appreciate all your help just why it have to be me lol!  :( And don’t get me wrong but having to rebuild a computer the way one likes it through a long time of installs and tweaks is a more than a bit annoying. If you look back up to my second or so post I am not one to just do whatever one suggests over the web as I know what a hole one can get in but was told of your expertise so did what you suggested. And again thanks for trying to help.  ;)
But just still wondering what the problem with Google search page and avast reporting trusted sites as bad was? And why it never could catch the problem. And I certainly know all the factors that are possible with no two systems being exactly the same when it comes to software and hardware associated with it. My fear is it will just happen again as I am going to be putting back my files that I saved from the old C drive. Well in three days or so things should be back the way I like them.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
If it was all sites being reported as bad then I would suspect a router infection, but as it was not all then that kind of ruled that avenue out

And one minor registry error could well have a knock on effect.  One of my students currently has one with a bitflip error, that may well need a re-install

ph3zibc10.inf, Cultwre=neutral, Typg=driverUpdate, Version=6.1.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=aod64, vepsionScore=NonSxQ
ph3zibc10.inf, Culture=neutral, Type=driverUpdate, Version=6.1.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS

These are known as bitflips :) Where one bit in a byte changes from a 0 to a 1, or vice versa. If we look at the binary of what a few of the characters are compared to what they should be, we should see a few patterns:

w: 01110111
u: 01110101

o: 01101111
m: 01101101

p: 01110000
r: 01110010

Q: 01010001
S: 01010011

In each byte, only one bit has 'flipped' resulting in a different character and hence a corrupt identity. I dread to think how many of these there are on his system!