Software Updater
21 (19.8%)
Update Manager
8 (7.5%)
Software Manager
22 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 25, 2013, 09:07:13 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Naming new feature in V8  (Read 28530 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: POLL: Naming new feature in V8
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
Vulnerability sounds better, especially as it appears to concentrate on front facing programmes..  I.e. those that access or have access to the internet.  Also I feel it is a part of the overall security of the system, Java is a case in point

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
Maybe some more simple: Last Version Software.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:37:11 PM »
I like vulnerability in the name too. What about Vulnerability Advisor? Vulnerability Analysis? Software Advisor?

Whatever name is used, you need to make certain the name is not already used in a competitors product.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:44:40 PM by Charyb »

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:17 PM »
    Software Health
This name does not match the content.  The version number of a program does not mean it's healthy, if it turns out to be infected.
    Software Updater
This name is more appropriate for the purpose of the new feature.  But a more accurate name would be "Software Updates Status".
    Update Manager
    Software Manager
These names can be misleading, because this function does not download and install new software updates.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:41:46 PM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline bruce_b

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:56 PM »
This feature is not needed by most people. And if you do put it in, it must have a way of being disabled by those that do not want it. Some programs, you can only update within the same Major Version Number, then you need to buy a new License Key. Such as Winzip, ISOBuster, ClipCache Pro .. Others, like WinRar, can update all they want. Most people check for updates regularly and things like Java and Flash and Shockwave will advise you when updates are out.
Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.8Ghz Windows XP PRO SP3
Avast Free Antivirus 18.8.2356
Toshiba Satellite C855-S5347 Celeron B830 1.8Ghz
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1909 Build 18363.900
Avast Free Antivirus 20.4.2410 Build 20.4.5312.578

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 06:44:47 PM »
I would imagine those needing it will be in the majority, you only have to browse the viruses and worms forum to see the numbers with out of date and vulnerable applications.

Users will no doubt be able do a custom install and uncheck this option, as they have been able with other avast shields, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »
On contrary - the feature is needed by most people. But of course you don't need to install it, or you can set specific programs to be ignored.

As for the name, even "Software Health" is rather long - it's the longest text in the left menu. So if it should be changed, it should be turned into something shorter for sure, not longer.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »
As for the name, even "Software Health" is rather long - it's the longest text in the left menu. So if it should be changed, it should be turned into something shorter for sure, not longer.
What about "Adviser" :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »
I think there is already a Software Updater.
I'll avoid the word "update".
I'd rather Software Health, it's more neutral.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »

Software

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
Risk Advisor.

Risk Analysis.

I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:50:53 PM by Charyb »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
If so, I suggest only "Health".
The best things in life are free.

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
(Sem assunto)
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:40:47 PM by jefferson santiag »

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
vulnerability protection

Protection against vulnerabilities

The Vulnerability Protection System is a component of intrusion prevention. The Vulnerability Protection provides information about the susceptibility of the programs on your computer from malicious attacks. It also provides information on known attacks against which they are protected.Protection against vulnerabilities allows to visualize the correlation between vulnerabilities against which the computer is protected and the programs that contain these vulnerabilities. The Vulnerability Protection window lets you view the list of vulnerable applications and their details.
Supplier, Displays the name of the application vendor, Program Displays the application name, Count, Displays the number of vulnerabilities that may affect the application
jefferson santiag,
If you are going to copy and paste things, then please site your sources. Otherwise, this could be considered plagiarism. This is happening too often.

Hermite15

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:18 PM »
vulnerability protection

Protection against vulnerabilities

The Vulnerability Protection System is a component of intrusion prevention. The Vulnerability Protection provides information about the susceptibility of the programs on your computer from malicious attacks. It also provides information on known attacks against which they are protected.Protection against vulnerabilities allows to visualize the correlation between vulnerabilities against which the computer is protected and the programs that contain these vulnerabilities. The Vulnerability Protection window lets you view the list of vulnerable applications and their details.
Supplier, Displays the name of the application vendor, Program Displays the application name, Count, Displays the number of vulnerabilities that may affect the application

no plagiarism from external sources is that clear ?
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/What-is-the-vulnerability-protection-all-about/td-p/654777