Software Updater
21 (19.8%)
Update Manager
8 (7.5%)
Software Manager
22 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 25, 2013, 09:07:13 AM

Author Topic: POLL: Naming new feature in V8  (Read 28558 times)

avvidro

Re: POLL: Naming new feature in V8
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
I think that all of the names lead to misunderstanding and multiple interpretations about the feature itself. IMHO, the people always will incline themselves to think the feature will be avast's related. Avast's health, Avast's manager, Avast's update.

I don't know what to suggest, but the name should let well clear what it is about. My serious suggestion is to work on the description of the feature and short it until it is objective and clear. My comedy sugestion is something like Avast's neighborhood watch 'program' or gossip neighbor in the window.

Pubert E

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
My vote is software manager seems the most prominent.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »
As Igor said in an earlier post even "Software Health" is rather long http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=113163.msg885225#msg885225

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 04:35:36 PM »

Not according to the poll results so far it it doesn't, but I didn't vote for any as I don't really think any hit the nail on the head.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

user_1000

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »
By the way... Software Health is quite impossible to translate to some languages. :D Some Avast translators have to use Software Manager instead... or something like that.

Pubert E

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 06:25:54 PM »
 ;D
The more i analyse this the more confused i become.
I'll stick with my original suggestion.

Diddy

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
HI like Software health it sounds neet and it is different.

Offline ProTruckDriver

• Retired USN & Truck Driver. Love Retirement Checks
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2013, 01:11:11 AM »
I like "Software Health".
Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
 Malwarebytes Premium, AdGuard

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »
I vote for Software Health...sounds best. :)
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Sounds best? Maybe. In English. Let's translate it into Russian: Здоровье программного обеспечения. First, it's much longer in all Slavic languages than in English. Second, the word "health" in the same languages has no relation to the version numbers of installed programs: Russian-speaking users will not look here for software updates but for the presence of viruses in the already installed programs.

As for me, I'd suggest to name this feature as Security Information (Информация безопасности). This name will be much closer to the reality - the state of software security in the form of information about availability of the latest versions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:55:29 AM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

lord ami

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
Sounds best? Maybe. In English. Let's translate it into Russian: Здоровье программного обеспечения. First, it's much longer in all Slavic languages than in English. Second, the word "health" in the same languages has no relation to the version numbers of installed programs: Russian-speaking users will not look here for software updates but for the presence of viruses in the already installed programs.

As for me, I'd suggest to name this feature as Security Information (Информация безопасности). This name will be much closer to the reality - the state of software security in the form of information about availability of the latest versions.

Yes, it sounds good in English but if you ask me, even in Estonian it can't be translated directly. Translating such program actually requires me to find alternatives for some of the strings. Well, in Estonian translation I would use more like "Software updater" or "Software update manager". "Health" for software sounds really silly in Estonian :)

But that's not the case here. We all know that translators don't do everything word-by-word, so I don't think it will be an issue for us as long as the meaning of the feature is passed on.

m1mi.dan0s

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
Why not something like "Full Update Check" or "System Integrity Scan"?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
Well mainly as they are trying to come up with a 'short' title/heading/category and it is neither a 'full' anything as it appears to only check internet facing applications, nor it is checking 'integrity.'

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2013, 07:28:44 PM »
Why not something like "Full Update Check" or "System Integrity Scan"?
Because the length of the name. They're looking for something shorter.
The best things in life are free.

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »

Yes, it sounds good in English but if you ask me, even in Estonian it can't be translated directly. Translating such program actually requires me to find alternatives for some of the strings. Well, in Estonian translation I would use more like "Software updater" or "Software update manager". "Health" for software sounds really silly in Estonian :)

But that's not the case here. We all know that translators don't do everything word-by-word, so I don't think it will be an issue for us as long as the meaning of the feature is passed on.
Hi,

i just expressed my opinion here ... wanted to offend anyone.
To me it sounds "Software Health" well, have not been thinking of another language.
When it arrived I'm sorry. :-[
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB