Author Topic: Problem with Downloads with WebShield [Outpost 1.0 FREE Issues]  (Read 30018 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Problem with Downloads (Mozilla) with WebShield (EDIT)
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2005, 11:15:52 PM »
Good night, and thanks for your help. Hopefully we'll find a solution. :)
Cheers Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gbark

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2005, 11:22:17 PM »
Sgt.Schumann,

I agree with Vlk on this one completely. I'd uninstall that old version of OP, reboot and give it another try. I expect that it will work then.

I highly reccommend the latest OutPost Pro v2.5. I use it with Avast v4.6.603 with no problems (actually better than v4.5!) If you can't flip the cash after 30 days, I'd suggest using some other free fire wall (sorry Agnitum  :-[) since OP version 1.x just doesn't cut it in my book these days.

Have a good night and better luck tomorrow!

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2005, 11:41:52 PM »
Thank you all,

indeed the old Outpost version is the problem, even it is "shut down" and no more processes "seem" to run (thanks Vlk).

The bad guy is the "FILNTNT.SYS". Apparently the kernel-driver.

When I rename this guy, I get an error message at startup, but when I "shutdown Ouptost" afterwards, the "download-problem" is not existing anymore. Nice to know!!

Thank you (especially Vlk)!!!

But still I have to now to consider to deinstall Outpost (WebShield enabled) or  not  (WebShield disabled)...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2005, 11:45:09 PM »
Well WebShield is a pretty standard network application so if your Outpost is having problems with this program, it may interfere with others as well... Hence, I'd probably recommend something else (there's a number of nice free alternatives).

Thanks
Vlk

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 11:48:45 PM »
Thank you for your great support.

Tomorrow I will propably kill that Ouptost-Thing...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2005, 11:50:33 PM »
Gute Nacht :)

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »
Now I deinstalled Outpost from my machine.
No more errors occur with enabled WebShield.  :)

Since the need of a Personal-Firewall behind a router is indeed questionable, I will now do without a PFW.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2005, 08:09:04 PM »
Since the need of a Personal-Firewall behind a router is indeed questionable, I will now do without a PFW.

Unless your router provides outbound protection, I would suggest that you still need some form of protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »
What do you recommend?

Some backround information:
I am only using Mozilla and Firefox as browser.
Mozilla is also my mail-client.
IE is "disabled" cause I told him to use an non-existent proxy (localhost, port 4711).
I am sitting behind a router.
Outpost (now deinstalled) was only configurated for looking at outbound traffic (because of the router).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 08:22:08 PM »
If you want it free, I'd suggest Kerio Personal Firewall http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html .
Not only that I know the folks that programmed it (they're based over here in Pilsen) but it's also quite stable fw IMHO...

Cheers
Vlk

Sgt.Schumann

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 08:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.

I am currently asking myself, if I really need a Personal-Firewall, because I am behind a router. Of course, the outbound connections are not "controlled" (as good as a software running on the -to be protected- system can do that) but since I am quite familiar with things going on on my machine and I do not doubleclick anything that is not fast enough to take flight, IMHO I can do without a PFW.

Please correct me, if I am wrong!!

For my girl friends machine, I hardly have to reconsider what I am doing  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 11:10:45 PM »
You don't have to double click on something to have it loaded in the background, there are methods say downloading a useful tool, etc.  and get an unknown present and since you authorised the initial download, it too will get a free ride through - now it wants to call home - what is to stop it?

Simply visiting some pages could be enough to get an unwelcome present. Trojans get past firewalls as is proven by the detection of many, those that are undetected (1st day ,etc.) could then be free to call home with your details taken from a keylogger, etc.

The overhead of having a software firewall  and router is negligible but the additional protection IMO easily outweighs this overhead.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

toadbee

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2005, 01:36:25 AM »
Not only that I know the folks that programmed it (they're based over here in Pilsen) but it's also quite stable fw IMHO...

*****ignore my comedic - but true break*****
Pilsen .... The best beer on Earth is made there  ;D
(you'll have to guess)
Kerio has been working fine and dandy for me - before and after Avast 4.6

rdf3

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2005, 03:12:29 AM »
If I can add anything to this topic: when I have WebShield on, I can't access the internet at all in either IE or Firefox, BUT I can use AIM and a few other apps.

And I'm using the latest version of Outpost.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2005, 09:15:16 AM »
Pilsen .... The best beer on Earth is made there

Really, they're based in Pilsen. It's a city about 60 miles from Prague :)
And sure, the beer is named after the city (and is very good :)) http://www.pilsnerurquell.us/
But some people here prefere Budweiser (not the American one - the original one :)) which is brewed in Budweis - about 70 miles from Pilsen. :) http://www.budvar.cz

rdf3,

If I can add anything to this topic: when I have WebShield on, I can't access the internet at all in either IE or Firefox, BUT I can use AIM and a few other apps.

And I'm using the latest version of Outpost.

Has Outpost asked you for permissions for ashWebSv.exe? If not, something's wrong. You need to tell Outpost to allow this process outbound HTTP (port 80) access to the Internet. Strangely enough, Outpost sometimes fails to ask... :-\

Thanks
Vlk