Author Topic: Netscape 7/Imap mail  (Read 5231 times)

Cochise

Netscape 7/Imap mail
« on: September 12, 2003, 01:45:03 PM »
I have been using Netscape 7 with two different users set up on it. One user has a pop3 account and one Netscape Imap account and the other user just has a Netscape Imap account. I can get the Avast mail protection to work with the pop3 account but not with the 2 imap accounts. I keep getting a "Login Error" on both Imap accounts. I went through the Avast mail setup in both automatic and manual mode and checked the boxes for ingoing and outgoing mail on all three accounts but the pop3 is the only one that works as a stand alone setting. All the port settings and user names seem to be okay. Both imap accounts show the port to be 127.0.0.1 along with name#imap.mail.netcenter.com and name#smpt.netscape.net  but I have had no luck in getting them to work. I even tried adding "DefaultImapServer=imap.mail.netcenter.com" to the Avast4 file but I did not know if you had to still  do this on the newest update. What is the fix for this?

mantra

Re:Netscape 7/Imap mail
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 01:58:19 PM »
is Ashmaisv.exe running while u check mails?

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 03:48:47 PM »
Does your IMAP server require secure login for your account ?

Cochise

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 04:04:38 PM »
The answer to the first question is yes, the program is running or at least shows in the task menu as running. My pop3 account works, so yes is the answer.

I would have to check on the 2nd question but I do not believe that it requires a secure connection. If it did require a secure connection, can you narrow the problem down?

Cochise

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 04:15:03 PM »
I verified that the answer to question 2 is no. No SSl is needed.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 04:25:30 PM »
If the server requires secure authentication, it will not work with avast now. But I can implement some additional authentication methods in the future.

You can also add the line
Log=20
to file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini under [MailScanner], try to download mail again and then look into the file C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\log\aswMaiSv.log to see communication transcription or attach the file here.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 04:31:49 PM »
I don't mean SSL but authentication methods sometimes called SPA (Secure Password Authentication) or SASL (Simple Authentication and Security Layer). Could you generate the log please ?