Author Topic: cannot disable Avast!  (Read 3575 times)

fastfood

cannot disable Avast!
« on: January 18, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »
Howdy, Folks.

I am using Avast! v. 7.0.1474 on Windows XP SP3.

I need to temporarily disable Avast! in order to download and install Adobe Flash 11.5.502.146. I am selecting Avast! Shields Control > Disable... from the context menu. On the Component Stop message I select "Yes" but Avast! will not disable. How can I successfully disable Avast!?

Thank you for your help.

Charlie

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: cannot disable Avast!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
There should be no need to disable avast to install flash updates, I never do on either of my two systems win7 and xp pro and no issues.

What problems are you getting.

Right clicking the avast tray icon and you can select, avast! Shields Control > Disable for X duration, that should be enough with the resident shields disabled/stopped. There really should be no need to do this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
the only time i have to disable my AV is when i download virus samples......
i have never ever done it when downloading/installing software/updates....etc etc

fastfood

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
Thanks Guys for responding. I am using XP Home SP3 but I too don't think that should make a difference. But for some reason the latest Flash won't download. I tried to run Trend Micros Housecall scan but it too will not run with the AV running. In any case "avast! Shields Control > Disable for X duration" should turn the the AV off but for some reason it won't.

The Windows Task Manager also will not permit me to disable Avast! When I disable Avast! using WinPatrol which erroneously indicates that the AV is disabled.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:28 AM »
The Windows Task Manager also will not permit me to disable Avast! When I disable Avast! using WinPatrol which erroneously indicates that the AV is disabled.
that is how malware would try to do it, so avast has a self protection module  ;)