Author Topic: User Interface  (Read 6424 times)

saso_bitola

User Interface
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:14:40 PM »
I have a suggestion for the user interface...It would be nice to have a option to select different skin for the interface...I now that many android users want to customize their phones and white skin would be nice too. For example white backround with orange text color and little grey lines between menu sections.I am 100% sure that this option will be accepted by the most of the users because I know that many users choose white color for android phone...such as Samsung Galaxy s3...You need to add this option I will install first on my phone and leave a review of the new skin...
Regards to all of you and please considerate this option... 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: User Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion :)
The best things in life are free.

saso_bitola

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »
One question to administrator...is my suggestion OK will you try it to integrate into avast mobile security? I would really love to see white version of the interface...It will match with the latest beta of Avast Antivirus 8...Don't you think?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:23:01 AM »
Hi,

we had a talk about this the other day and I'm really not sure we gonna do it (I'm sure we are not jumping on it right now). Reasons:

1) Changing all the graphic resources to some kind of light theme would take approximatelly a week and another week to resize them to fit all the possible Android screens (these are my guesses and I'm not the graphics guy so it might be even longer). That is at least 2 weeks of work, 2 weeks we currently don't have in the schedule.
2) Including the skin in the AMS .apk would increase the size of the app by approximatelly 1,5MB (yes, graphic resources are that big) making it 6,5MB app. I'm pretty sure some of the users would like the skin no matter what, but based on my experience, ten times more users would be mad about the increase in app size.
3) It is probably possible to offload the resources to a standalone file, but that would require us to rewrite access to the resources in the whole application. I assume that might take another (few) week(s).

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
Thanks Filip. If the hard work could be an open door for future (faster) improvements, the time won't be wasted, but invested :)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »
If by "improvements" you mean other skins then yes, but otherwise I don't really think so :( At least no other "improvements" that could be based on this come to my mind at the moment.

Filip

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
If by "improvements" you mean other skins
You've got my mind.

saso_bitola

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:07 PM »
Thanks Filip for your reply...
I guess that my interface suggestion will have to wait...
But let me propose you something...If you want to make the skin white its not necessary to be included in the ams.apk file.
It could be pushed through play store as a single apk file and to be downloaded from the users that want to install the white skin.In that way you can stay on your size for AMS and give the customers another optional skin to install (like the most music players they all have different apk files for the skins for example:player pro)
Thanks again and regards to all of you in avast team...

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Hi,

yeah, that is exactly what I was suggesting in 3). But you need to change the whole app to be able to use those files which is not a simple change in a project as big as Mobile Security is.

Filip