Author Topic: Automatic Update of Virus Definition  (Read 6609 times)

fhn

Automatic Update of Virus Definition
« on: September 12, 2003, 04:42:50 PM »
The new version of Avast 4.1 still DOES NOT AUTO update the virus definition file unless the user allow the main Avast program to auto start.  I know most proficient PC users DO NOT require the full-time protection of Avast.  But if we turn-off the main Avast program (e-mail scanner still ON), then we don't get new AV definition update!

With Norton Antivirus, I can shut down the full-time NAV program and still be able to receive new virus definition via LiveUpdate.  This method allows me to scan incoming e-mails for bugs and not be bogged-down by a full time AV program running in the background.

Is this something that is not valued by the Avast software team?  I have posted the same concern with the previous version of Avast.

F.    

fhn

Re:Automatic Update of Virus Definition
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 05:03:00 PM »
Could someone provide links to download the previous versions of Avast 4 (Pro and Home)?  I want to run some comparison tests.

Thanks,
F.

mantra

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2003, 04:49:49 PM »
try to don't use useras!!!

fhn

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2003, 05:15:28 PM »
???

Please elaborate.

mantra

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2003, 08:04:13 PM »
add this to avast4.ini

[InetWD]
UpdatePeriod=60
UseRAS=0
AssumeAlwaysConnected=0

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2003, 11:39:18 AM »
fhn,

to answer your original question: the auto-updater and on-access scanner are both hosted in the same service process. That is, it's not possible to run just one of these components completely separately. However, it's possbile to disable the on-access scanner and still have the auto-updates working, if that's what you want.

For more info on how to do this, please refer e.g. to my post here: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=291;start=msg1286#msg1286

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2003, 03:47:58 PM »
I know most proficient PC users DO NOT require the full-time protection of Avast....

avast! users prefer avast! running in background...
You can configure a lot of setting to get your protection level.
No another av allows this wide variety of settings.
avast! does its job...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

fhn

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 02:27:05 AM »
Mantra: thanks for the tip but it didn't work.

VLK: yes, I got the new virus definition with your suggested configuration.  However, Avast no longer scans new incoming e-mails because this command disables ALL AVAST functions.  

I'm sure you are aware of Norton AV.  With Norton, I can leave the e-mail scanner active, including Symantec Netdect under Windows Scheduled Task.  Symantec Netdect will allow me to get new virus definition without having to launch the main Norton Virus AUTO PROTECT scan engine.

I'm aware that I need to launch ashmaisv.exe to auto scan new e-mails.  However, it would be very nice if I don't have to launch ashserv.exe (a program that pulls about 17MB or RAM on my PC) at the same time in order to receive new virus definition.  I just need a little program that runs under Windows Scheduled Tasks to check for new Avast virus definition file when I'm connected to the internet.

Right now, I have to manually launch ashserv.exe and click on virus update to download new virus update.

Thanks,
F.

fhn

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 02:48:49 AM »
My bad VLK.  The e-mail scanner is working with your configuration.  Too bad we have to launch the main ashserv.exe program to receive new virus definition.  

Oh yes, I suspect that scriptblocking and instant messaging will be disabled with your suggested configuration?  Only the e-mail scanner is active, correct?

thanks in advance,
F.