Author Topic: Blue Screen and will not boot  (Read 3505 times)

dagrev

Blue Screen and will not boot
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
Last week I began using FF18 in sandbox.  Saturday FF flickered when my wife was using it and a blue screen came up for a while them the computer shut down to protect itself, it said. I believe I rolled back to a previous snapshot with RBRx.  Yesterday I began having problems and a blue screen flashed and something about a file asw... and I'm not sure of the rest, but thought this was likely avast related.

Now I can't boot and cannot go to safe mode, and cannot boot from another drive I have installed or a CD.  I can't even use RBRx to as all snapshots fail during the screen "this computer is protected by avast!"

My computer Toshiba Satellite P870 less than a year old.  I use for work and everything is useless and I need help.  Any suggestions?

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
Re: Blue Screen and will not boot
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »

Despite being almost traumatic, blue screen contains valuable information so we can begin the search for the cause of the problem. Just below the first paragraph - "a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down ..." - you will see a description of what is giving problem in Windows.

Another important tip is to pay attention to the words and codes that come after - "If the problems persist ..." -; relevant information is actually there.

The last lines give technical tips for you to know specifically what was detected as a problem. This error code is important when looking for a solution.

(Image source: Tecmundo)

Things to Do

Alternative 1: The first step is to make a detailed analysis of your Blue Screen. It is important that you copy (or take a picture) the information marked on the image above to just do a search on the internet. Who knows you do not find someone who has had the same problem - and that has solved? An important tip is to type in Google the error code that is located in the "Technical information", right after the word STOP.

Alternative 2: Detailed information about errors can also be found in the Event Viewer System, which is a place where windows records all events, including errors and problems. To do this, open the Control Panel and go to the "Administrative Tools", and there you will find "Computer Management". Access this application.

The management screen will open up the PC. On the left menu, click on "Windows Logs", expand the selection and, soon after, click "System". On the main screen, you can view all the events, whether or not problems. Accidents usually are marked with a red exclamation mark, with the date and time of occurrence next. Just double click on the item to get a detailed explanation.

Note the following example: The computer is failing to have a hardware problem. More specifically, a hard disk error.

Alternative 3: If you did not find anything, then the second step is to check the drivers for the hardware you have on your PC. If you have updated any drivers recently (just before giving the error), then a suggestion is to go back to the old version driver. To do this, go back to Control Panel and open the application "Device Manager."

Look for the device that you upgraded, for example, the video card. Right click on the driver and go to "Properties." An information window will open. Look for the tab "Driver". You will see a button called "Roll Back Driver". Click it to return to the old version.

Alternative 4: Another solution is exactly the opposite of the previous suggestion: update the drivers for peripherals to a newer version by going to the website developer hardware.

Alternative 5: The RAM can be champion more blue screens than you think. It is always good to know how the functioning of their memory banks, because they can estrar introducing errors from malfunctioning or even a single bad contact. Always use programs that check your RAM, as MemTest, and remember to clean often the inside of your computer (if it is a desktop).

Alternative 6: A common cause of blue screens are overheating of components, especially processor. If it reaches a very high temperature, it possibly will turn off automatically to protect the integrity of its internal circuitry. Check the temperature with specific applications for it, like HWMonitor. If you notice that the temperature is too high, try to check the fans and coolers of your computer for potential problems.

Alternative 7: Restore Windows is a good option. That is why it is so important to always create restore points before making any modification to the system or even before you install a program - for the most neurotic.

When all else fails

If none of the above tips work, there is still an option. You can restore the files from the Windows installation CD. Just put it in drive and follow the onscreen instructions. The system will reinstall all important items, keeping your data safe and documents. But this is not always guaranteed to solve the problem, you may need to reinstall the system from scratch, starting for a full format.

If after all this you still can not solve at least part of the problem, the last alternative is actually call a computer technician and delegate responsibility to a professional.

dagrev

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:01:35 AM »
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=586

if the computer is under warranty must change

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_356576&isLegacy=true

The hardware should be, but this seems to be a software issue.  But I may be wrong here.

2nd post: First, thanks for taking the time to offer great suggestions.  Much appreciated. 

First option: The blue screen is no longer a full screen that lasts (it wasn't there long when the full screen did happen).  Now when it fails, there is a small blue screen in the upper left corner and it is only  there for about one second, if that.  Not long enough to read anything.

Second option: I cannot boot far enough into Windows to do anything with the computer.  I can't even change the boot order.  I've tried several boot CDs to no avail.

Possibly it is a a hardware matter.  I've never had one that I could not get to boot with a rescue disk of some kind, so this may be a job for a professional.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.  Were I able to get Windows running your latter options would no doubt prove very helpful.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:11:51 AM by dagrev »

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 12:20:36 AM »
thanks for your words, I hope you understand the translation from Portuguese into English :)

dagrev

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
You are very welcome, and you translated perfectly.  I had no trouble at all.

dagrev

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »
I have been able to boot from an Acronis rescue disk and restore an image from a month ago.

I'm still uncertain as t why this happened and what exactly went wrong.

Thanks

"Support" sure is sloooooow.  No suggestions from then yet.