Author Topic: web pages not loading properly  (Read 43851 times)

Offline Chuck58

Re: web pages not loading properly
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2005, 04:44:02 PM »
I had a similar problem last night. XP sp2, 512 RAM, using both Internet Explorer 6 and Mozilla 1.7.2, and Kerio 2.1.5 firewall.

I started having trouble with Internet Explorer. Part of the page would load, and other parts remain empty. Also, the fonts changed on the various sites to a very small size. I switched to Mozilla and it worked for a while and then the same thing began to happen. This was the same on every site I visited, including this forum. No matter what I did, the problem persisted until I shut down the computer for the night. Today, it's all normal again.

My first thought was that it was because I hadn't shut down the computer in a couple of weeks and it was Windows telling me it was time. After seeing this thread, I thought I should comment on the problem.

Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

milhouse69

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »
Ok !
All network traffic seems to be scanned by Avast! (even if the On-Access Protection is disabled) !

Symptoms:
- Web pages does't load correctly or not at all
- Services won't work : FTP: It takes 10 retry to connect, but no passive mode allowed

The problem appears only when I have a lot of socket open, just to mention that I tested with a BitTorrent Client (Azureus).

If I close my BitTorrent Client, everything goes fine after 10 seconds ... The problem doesn't comes from my network settings or a firewall. I got no firewall (just a fully functionnal router).

I also tried to Enable / Disable the QoS settings in the Network settings with no success !

Informations:
- IE : 6.0.2900.2180 (comes with SP2)
- Firefox: 1.0

Is there a resident shield activated even if I stop all the services in Avast! ??

EDIT:
Here is what is get in Firefox ... When I get something !

The Web site cannot be found
The Web site you are looking for is unavailable due to its identification configuration settings.

Please try the following:
    * Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    * If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
    * Click the Back button to try another link.

11002 - Host not found
avast! Web Proxy

Technical Information (for support personnel)
    * Background:
      This error indicates that the gateway could not find an authoritative DNS server for the Web site you are trying to access.
    * Host name: GET http://www.avast.com
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:09:44 PM by milhouse69 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 08:15:12 PM »
milhouse69, which firewall are you using?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

milhouse69

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2005, 08:17:20 PM »
No firewall at all !
Just a router (Linksys) that makes the NAT between my computer and the Internet.
And the Windows XP SP2 built-in firewall is disabled !

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
compumedic,

the message:

Too many open sockets.
\Device\HarddiskVolume1\WINDOW\system32\opsq.exe

suggests that the process opsq.exe is trying to access the internet and possibly it has lot's of connections at the same time. Do you know what this opsq.exe is? For example what shows the "Version info" about it when you choose properties of this file in Windows Explorer?

Thanks.
Lukas.

krissy72

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 03:52:16 PM »
I am having the same problems with the same error messages.
Has anyone figured out what to do about this yet?
I also downloaded the new avast.

gringojack

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »
read this it may help

Well here we go

Im using MS outlook and aol

in ms outlook >>tools >>accounts >> properties >> advanced >> outgoing mail (smtp): default port is 25, aol recommends 587, so times ago, I entered 587 (for france)

Hense in avast >> resident protection >> webshield >>personalized >> port http: I replaced 80 by 587

it also works with 25

rlkeator

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2005, 09:18:54 PM »
I hope I am not confusing this problem but it sounds similar to my problem.  If I should start a new problem, let me know.   

I have only been using Avast for about a month and thought everything was fine until last week.  I am using bluelight dial up and IE6 with XP pro & Sp2.   I started getting the messages re "too many sockets"    and avast proxy.  It always always had a reference to "etrends" which is a tracking prog. I have had for a long time.    I had grandchildren using the PC and thought they had messed with something and did a system restore.  That fixed the problem for a day or so????   WHY??  Then it came back!!   I know just enough to be dangerous. so I ran msconfig and turned off all 4 avast lines in the process sections and have not had the problem since.  I would like to turn avast back on but I don't need protection if I can't get to any web sites.  Every thing I tried came back with the same red message.   I will watch this site for a fix.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2005, 03:01:09 AM »
Rlkeator, try to disable 'only' WebShield from avast control: left click the 'a' blue icon in the system tray, choose WebShiled provider at left and shut it down. Try to see if everything works and let us know... Then we can correct your problem later...
Welcome to avast  :)
The best things in life are free.

rlkeator

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »
When I click on the Blue Button with    a      in it I get a window called " avast! On Access Scanner "   Status: active    Normal/high is at normal.

Clicking   details give a window with:
         Instant Messaging
         Internet Mail
         Network Shield
         Outlook /Exchange
on the left side.  All are running except Outlook.

Since I post my problem, I went back to msconfig & turned on every thing but  "Web Scanner" and every thing has been working.

It shows as "disabled" in Services window.
I started in manually and clicked the "blue ball a"   and had the same screen.

This is Avast Ver 4.6 Home Edition.

Thanks for your reply    I will start the web scanner and see if I get the error.

rlkeator

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2005, 05:25:14 PM »
  Bac again.    I started the web scanner again  and my Isp kicked me off before I could test anything.  (I don't think there is any connection between advat and isp quiting) but as I was closing windows, my yahoo mail screen had the error message.  I will leave the web scanner off till I hear from you.
             thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 07:06:58 PM »
Now this ones  a bit weird. When I try to go online firefox says no data on the page and doesn't load a page, IE gives a 404 error.  Terminate webshield (pause doesn't cure the problem) access one page restart webshield no problem with either IE or FF.  Spooky or what.  No further problems till I reboot then I have to go through it all again Avast ver 4.6.614 just downloaded (well prior to this anyway).  ZAPro full server access to webshield.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2005, 07:19:29 PM »
Try this work around fron the ZA sticky thread.

There's another work around that seems to be working. It consists of setting up a proxy server in your browser, with the following details:

proxy server name: localhost
proxy server port: 12080

For firefox, see image
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rlkeator

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2005, 11:35:40 PM »
Why did this topic just quit??  I turned off the web scanner part of avast and now can use the internet but there has been no updates since.  Will this be fixed??

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2005, 12:28:31 AM »
Why did this topic just quit??  I turned off the web scanner part of avast and now can use the internet but there has been no updates since.  Will this be fixed??

What avast version do you currently use? Can you please test the pre-release 4.6.635?

Thanks
Lukas.