Author Topic: Uninstall Crisis  (Read 2245 times)

PeggyK

Uninstall Crisis
« on: January 25, 2013, 05:08:39 AM »
I use Windows 7 32 bit.  I installed Avast free edition and only thereafter discovered that it was difficult, if not impossible, to uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.  Rather than have two antivirus programs running, I decided to uninstall Avast, using the uninstall utility.  Everything worked perfectly -- exactly as described in the knowledge base -- and I believe that Avast has now been uninstalled.  HOWEVER, I am now unable to boot my computer up in anything other than "Safe Mode," with minimal drivers.  I have tried rolling back to a point before the uninstallation, using System Restore, but I continue to be able to boot up ONLY in "Safe Mode" with minimal drivers.  Please, please, please HELP!!!!!

PS.  I tried to put this question/problem to tech support, but some alleged server problem prohibited it.  I am really stuck and need help.  Thanks.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Uninstall Crisis
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:24:12 AM »
Are you receiving any error messages?

Read here on why you should never install 2 antivirus programs. -> http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/89.aspx

Boot into safemode and remove both avast and MSE using the tools here. -> http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

If you can't boot to safemode with networking then download using another computer and save to flash drive.

Then, install only one, not both.

If this doesn't fix it then there is a deeper problem. Please report back the results.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 06:49:26 AM by Charyb »

PeggyK

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  Without knowing the reasons, I did understand that having two antivirus programs at the same time was a problem, which is why I tried first to uninstall one and, when that failed, I tried to uninstall the other.  However, that doesn't  seem to be the immediate problem at the moment.  Apparently the Avast "clean" tool has done something to my Windows 7 boot file.  Even when I use F8 and select "normal windows startup" (or whatever it's called), it puts me into "safemode" with "minimal services."  I've now tried to use system restore twice, but even after that Windows boots into "safemode" with "minimal services."  What I don't know how to do is get Windows to startup with networking and all the other stuff that I customarily load and use.  I do a full and/or incremental backup weekly with Acronis TrueImage, so if I have to I suppose I can restore from last Sunday's backup.  Is there a simpler, better way to get Windows 7 fully loaded?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
I think using your image created on last Sunday would be your best option imo, then you'll be able to install avast after first removing MSE.