Author Topic: AntiTheft still sending sms alerts after uninstalling  (Read 12226 times)

ngc3773

AntiTheft still sending sms alerts after uninstalling
« on: January 26, 2013, 12:25:13 AM »
Hello,

I have a very annoying issue.
I have a Galaxy S3, android 4.1.2 rooted
I've changed phone provider a few month after installing avast and antitheftwith the standard rooted method. So i changed my sim card, and realized my phone was sending an alert message to a phone number I previously entered.
I thought i declared the sim as trusted, but the phone was still sending sms. SO I decided to uninstall avast, but didn't realized anti theft had to be uninstall too... so the phone kept sending sms every time i was rebooting it. And i work half of my time in foreign countries, so it starts to be expensive!!!
I went on different forum  :  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=90236.0     http://forum.avast.com/offline/forum.theftaware.com/viewtopic664f.html   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=111215.0
, unchecked the antiTheft as admin, uninstalled it via Titanium backup (uninstalled the com.avast....).
now when i explore my device, there is no :
com.avast.android.antitheft.apk
com.avast.android.antitheft.backup.enc
at.itagents.ta.apk
at.itagents.ta.backup.enc
in my system/app or anywhere...
I still have my old sim card, still active, i put it back in my phone, reinstalled avast and antitheft with the same name and code and method, and then unistalled antitheft first via the avast application
i've revomed my device online.
But when i come back to my new sim card : SMS again!!!
I don't know what to do! i can't afford to have my phone sending SMS from outbroad all the time and to bother my contact every time i'm turning on my device!
I really need so help on this!
Thank you for your answers

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: AntiTheft still sending sms alerts after uninstalling
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:11 PM »
Hello,

what's the exact content of the SMS sent? Cases like yours usually end with the user realizing, that he configured a manufacturer preinstalled security solution which, of course, still sends after Anti-Theft is uninstalled.

have a nice weekend,

Werner

ngc3773

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »
Oh my God!!!
You're right! i didn't realized...
Thank you for your answer, i was getting crazy!
At least i hope my experience will help other stupid guys like me...
Cheers

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Hello Werner,
I am a newbie so couldn't understand your comment:
"what's the exact content of the SMS sent? Cases like yours usually end with the user realizing, that he configured a manufacturer preinstalled security solution which, of course, still sends after Anti-Theft is uninstalled."

Can you tell me what does this mean?
Do I have to disable something else also after uninstalling avast and avast anti-theft or is it some setting in anti-theft itself?

I received this mail from another customer. To avoid misinterpretations from other interested users here's a more detailed explanation:

Anti-Theft sends a message (SMS) to a user definded number (a friend or family member) in cases where the sim card of the phone is changed. This way you get the new number of the phone if it's stolen and the sim card is replaced by a thief.
This is a behavior our app has in common with other anti-theft solutions. Samsung, for example, provides such an anti-theft solution preinstalled on it's phones (probably not on all phones, but many models).

Customers sometimes configure this preinstalled anti-theft solution and forget about it. They also install Anti-Theft later on.

Probably months later they uninstall Anti-Theft and probably change the sim card. Now the problem: the phone still sends a message informing about the SIM change.
The preinstalled anti-theft solution is still in place and configured - but since the customer forgot about it, he thinks that our app still sends SMS.

Our notification SMS consist of a specific text, so comparing the texts is the best way to identify what app sent the SMS.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
This reply doesn't say anything that can be done to fix the problem.  It just places the blame on the user!  What is the solution?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:53:11 PM »
This reply doesn't say anything that can be done to fix the problem.
It sure does tell you. Check the pre-installed anti-theft solution.
It just places the blame on the user!
If the user forgot about the pre-installed anti-theft solution. Guess who's fault it is...

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »
However, I have unistalled Avast Anti Theft and stil receiving SMS messages as follows:

"avast! Anti-Theft (www.avast.com) alteração do cartão SIM. Mapear (https://ta-m.avast.com/maps.srv?l=pt&i=351825053514464&ll=40.219296,-8.404265&ac=150&ap=0) (WiFi) Precisão (150m) Proprietário (alexandragio) Rede (vodafone P) Sinal (2/7) ID do celular (26833859) País (Portugal) Código de área (18) Novo IMSI (2680114010....) IMEI (35182505.....)"

These are SMS to Czech Republic that  can not afford.

How can I uninstall Avast Anti Theft definitively.

Note: when I try to reinstall from Google Play it says it is impossible because is already installed on your servers.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
Hello Werner,
I am a newbie so couldn't understand your comment:
"what's the exact content of the SMS sent? Cases like yours usually end with the user realizing, that he configured a manufacturer preinstalled security solution which, of course, still sends after Anti-Theft is uninstalled."

Can you tell me what does this mean?
Do I have to disable something else also after uninstalling avast and avast anti-theft or is it some setting in anti-theft itself?

I received this mail from another customer. To avoid misinterpretations from other interested users here's a more detailed explanation:

Anti-Theft sends a message (SMS) to a user definded number (a friend or family member) in cases where the sim card of the phone is changed. This way you get the new number of the phone if it's stolen and the sim card is replaced by a thief.
This is a behavior our app has in common with other anti-theft solutions. Samsung, for example, provides such an anti-theft solution preinstalled on it's phones (probably not on all phones, but many models).

Customers sometimes configure this preinstalled anti-theft solution and forget about it. They also install Anti-Theft later on.

Probably months later they uninstall Anti-Theft and probably change the sim card. Now the problem: the phone still sends a message informing about the SIM change.
The preinstalled anti-theft solution is still in place and configured - but since the customer forgot about it, he thinks that our app still sends SMS.

Our notification SMS consist of a specific text, so comparing the texts is the best way to identify what app sent the SMS.

I have been charged for SMS after uninstalling the android app (so I thought) years ago. Turns out, you have to uninstall in a specific way (not just dragging the icon to uninstall, but going to apps, then uninstalling). Be gentle, I'm learning...

Anyway, I put a new SIM into my phone and Avast have been sending the SMS alerts to goodness knows which number. However, Ive been billed by my NEW sim provider often texts! This is a number not on my safe family/friends list - it's my brand new number.

Not only have I been billed per text (which is 25p a time) but I have been billed for 2 texts within the same minute and have not even received them! Excessive to say the least.

How can I be billed for them on my brand new number, Avast? 

And why make the whole thing SO complicated? At the time, I believed I was signing up to a FREE version (and I know people will argue this, but I did) - I think FREE meant 'without tech support/not Premium' rather than a free app...misleading...and I know I'm not alone...

Furthermore, when I traced the number on my bill to Avast, I went online and deleted my device. Solved, I thought.  But no, I was billed again over Christmas.  I therefore had to download the app again and lo and behold, the device was on my Account.  But when I logged back into My Account online, there was no device.  How does that work?

It's outrageous and never again will I use Avast. I've reported this to the ICO.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »
If AT is sending SMS's to avast, it is because you have it setup that way.

https://blog.avast.com/2014/07/02/how-to-prevent-unnecessary-costs-of-avast-sms-notifications-when-replacing-your-sim-card/

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB214

There is nothing outrages.
AT did as you told it to do.

If you want to use a application (not just AT but any), you should spend some time learning about the options, features etc it has.
What they mean, do, how they work etc.

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 05:19:03 PM »
I knew I'd be lectured. However, you try being not very technological and long term ill.

Plus, Avast state they will text a friend/family, which makes it wrong that my new number, which I didn't give them, has been billed.

Helpful comments only!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:23:16 PM by mj22222 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 05:23:14 PM »
I'm not lecturing you, I am just giving you some facts and some things to read so you can learn about AT and the options/functions etc.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
If you've read it, does it say that they new sim will be billed?

Don't mean to be grumpy!